i'm hoping for some sympathy here...especially from those of you who have lived in other countries who might have had similar experiences!!
as i was working last night at my computer, i looked up and THOUGHT i saw a spider above me. oh no, not a spider! what could it be?? that's right, a SCORPION!!!! on the ceiling, ABOVE MY HEAD!! as you can imagine, i stayed completely calm (yeah right) until i had squished him beyond recognition. ah, to be back in the northwest again....
Thursday, October 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
The northwest is pretty amazing when it comes to not having as many lethal disgusting bugs as other places. I'm sure enick can tell you about bugs living on an island. Come to Idaho we don't have those yucky bugs and very few slugs.
I am so sorry! I have never seen a scorpion and never hope to see one!
i have had a lot of experience with scorpions since we use to visit my grandma in phoenix every summer. we liked to catch and torchure them, it gave us satisfaction. one horrific time i found one in my bed - luckily before i got in, but i didn't sleep well that night to say the least.
i like idaho, we may end up there...all depends on the jobs! i have heard of people in our ward who have had them in their bed and gotten stung! what a nightmare. it's the fifth one in our house in the 9 months we've lived in palestine. we didn't see any in austin...too much cement! haha!
We had some nasty bugs on the island, but the most annoying were the little sugar ants. If we left anything out on the counter there would be a million tiny ants all over it within 5 minutes! There would be a trail from the door to the "prize". The worst was when I was taking my kids on a walk and my 2 youngest were in the jogging stroller. I put the top canopy over them and there was a huge tarantula there. I didn't want to swat it away fearing that it would bite me so I ripped the kids out of the stroller and pushed the stroller as far as I could. The spider was so huge that we could see it from a distance cross the street. I didn't dare get close enough to kill it. Needless to say, I didn't keep my stroller on the porch anymore. We stored it right inside the door.
ok enick, you sooo win! how did you get your stroller back?? did the thing just jump off and run away? ew ew ew ew, i got the chills.
Scary Jen! Oh my heck! That is something I am VERY glad that I DON'T Have to deal with that!
The stroller didn't go too far. I was just on our dirt road about to get to the street so the curb stopped the stroller and the spider escaped. I just hate nasty bugs. The lizards weren't bad since they eat the bugs for us. We let them live.
ok...I will tell my huge bug/small rodent story. My house here in Hawaii is pretty new, at least compared to the rest of the houses here. Anyway right after we moved here I was changing Andrew into his clothes for the day. I opened his dresser and saw something scrurry away...I wasn't sure what it was(I have lived a sheltered life as far as bugs are concerned) but I knew it was almost the length of my hand. I waited and waited for it to come back and when it did I guessed it was a cockroach. This was the first one I had seen here although everyone told me to expect them. Well I freaked out - I couldn't smash it...it would be like smashing a mouse so I ran for the vacuume and sucked it up quickly then yanked the bag out and ran for the outside trashcan. Since then I have only seen a few that big in my house but when I do I kind of go crazy. Zac asked me one day why the broom was broken. Well I told him it was either use the broom or run it over with the car...the broom seemed easier. So next time you all think of Hawaii as paradise just remember the friendly rodents that come with it!
My husband Brendan lived in Hawaii for a few years when he was young and he told me about the flying cocroaches that would buzz your tower when you opened the cupboards. But I've got to tell you my rodent issue. We used to live in Springville in Bren's grandpas basement. We had a lab in a pen in the backyard. Well I started to notice rodents steal the dog food. So one day (by the way I was pregnant with Dallin) I decided to stick a hose down one of the holes back there and turned the water on. One rat after another came streaming out. I had a garden hoe, and between me and the dog (she would stun them) I hacked their heads off. A few got away so a few days later I dumped in the gasoline and lit that baby on fire. No more rats!
Dave used to live in Hawaii and he told me all about the HUGE cane spiders. Skeeves me out. Yuck.
oh my gosh lucinda, that is so funny! i'm sure it wasn't at the time but just picturing it makes me laugh!! joy, we have those huge ones too, but they come in for water so you don't see them often...it's the little ones you have to watch for. if you see little ones, it's already too late! rachel was telling me how she went to bed one night and she and bryan were laying there talking when they heard something fall onto their pillows, so they jumped up and turned the light on and it was one of those huge roaches!!! did anyone see "just married"? love that movie, reminds me of that!
erika, i'm glad the tarantula got off the stroller! i wouldn't have been brave enough to even go near it, so good job!!:)
Post a Comment