Wednesday, October 25, 2006

All that Halloween candy!



That looks like too much candy for one boy! That was Tyler with his stash last year. (And me with my daughter, Hannah, before trunk-or-treat.) I am asking for all suggestions on what to do with all of the Halloween candy that will be all over the house. My kids constantly beg for the treats as long as they know it is still nearby. Kelly told me about an idea she had a few years ago. I can't remember it exactly, but it had to do with a "Halloween Fairy" coming to get the candy. Kelly, please explain. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Any good ideas on costumes while we are on the subject?

10 comments:

jen bryner said...

i asked for costume ideas as well, you might want to check out that post because a lot of people responded...i think it was the one titled "what will you be". i decided on an angel because i found some pretty feather wings and i had the other stuff already. did you see "ever after"? i'm going to TRY to do that same thing for face makeup! i have no creative ideas for the candy, i usually just put it in the freezer because no kids look in there. i would LOVE to hear some creative stuff for that one:)

Joy said...

Well we only do the trunk or treat...ours is this Friday instead of Halloween. So when Tuesday the actual day of Halloween comes Anne and I hand out the candy she recieved to the kids that come to the door. I let her choose about five or six of her favorite ones to keep for after dinner treats.

Also you could give your kids coupons (one for each day) and once they have used the coupon to pick one treat then they can't have anymore until the next day...a friend of mine does this.

As for costumes...we were all going to be the wizard of oz bunch but I am feeling tired this week. So Anne will be a Dorothy still, Andrew maybe the lion if I can get him into the costume and Zac will be his usual Colombian, and I think I will be a butterfly - Anne has some cute butterfly wings and then I will wear some antanas I made out of a headband and pipecleaners...way easy.

Mollie said...

I just try not to contribute to the sugar rush by giving out non-candy treats myself. If you have a Sam's club nearby, I got a huge jar of individually bagged Halloween shaped pretzels for super cheap. They are darling! Last year, we handed out satsuma oranges that Kennedi and I drew little jack-0-latern faces on with permanent markers, also fun. My kids are still young enough that after a day or two I send it to work with Karlin and tell them it's gone and it's no big deal. Lucky me!

sherrie said...

i remember seeing that pic of you and hannah last year. those costumes are so pretty! what ever happened to just putting all your candy in a pillow case and eating at will? hahaha that's what i always did. probably not the best idea. ;) as for ideas for costumes...what ever happened to being witches, clowns, ghosts etc. those good ol' days are gone and now it's the invasion of disney. (a lot more expensive if you ask me) just have fun, my sis is doing a peter pan theme with her kids...should be adorable!

LucindaF said...

I get to donate a lot of the candy to the seminary students. But I am the bad parent Sheri loves because for a few days I do let them gorge a little bit. My only rule is I don't want to hear anything about candy until after lunch. Like Sheri, we ate all of ours, sorted out all of my candy bars and taffy's and suckers and munched for as long as it lasted. So I've tried to let my kids have some of that experience but also getting rid of some of it after I'm fed up with candy.
Costumes? I'm all about making it out of household things. How many times did I dress up as garbage as a kid, or a bum? I did hit goodwill for a few things this year. Oh well.

LucindaF said...

Hoorah Heather! Let's see that belly Erika!

jen bryner said...

i just found out bekah can dress up for school but NOT for 'halloween', it's for some reading thing and they have to be a character out of a book!! if they're going to dress up anyway, why not let them wear their halloween stuff? that means she has 2 costumes...or will have...because i don't want to make her be the ONE to not dress up. for halloween she'll be supergirl, then tomorrow at school i THINK she will be dorothy from the wizard of oz. so dumb!!!

jen bryner said...

um, i didn't mean her costume was dumb, i meant the dress up thing was dumb at school ;)

enickel said...

1st of all, thanks for all of the great ideas. 2nd nobody wants to see my belly unless it is to laugh at me. You are so cruel. I have been having dreams of having a skinny waist, but for now that is only in my dreams. Only 2 1/2 more weeks!!!

LucindaF said...

Laugh? Maybe smile cuz you're so darn cute. Maybe I am a little cruel, I just love my Enick and think she's cute no matter what.