Sunday, September 17, 2006

My Engagement Story

Fatih is very spontaneous. One day he showed up at "Pools on the Park" the fitness club I worked at (actually he worked out everyday, so this was normal) He told me he wanted to take me to the countryside after I got off work. So, when he came to pick me up he was dressed very smart in a suit and I was just in my work pants and collared shirt. He didn't want to go all the way back to my flat (which was just a 15 minute drive) so he took me to a clothes shop and had me pick out a dress and some shoes to wear. Also he picked out some shoes that matched better with his suit. (Turkish people (from Istanbul at least) are pretty meticulous about fashion, actually most things) So after all that, we got on the road, and we ran into the biggest traffic jam ever. It took us four hours to get somewhere it usually takes two. By the time we got to York, the castle he wanted to take me to was closed for the day for cleaning. He was very dissappointed, but we decided to go to an Italian restaurant instead and come back two days later to the castle when it would be open and we could spend all day because I wasn't working. So we came back two days later and spent the day discovering the city of York, we walked on top of the walls of the city (kind of like a tiny version of the Great Wall of China). Then finally he took me to the castle and we climbed to the very top. Where he said to me, "Even if it was 1000 years ago and I was the King and you were a farmer girl or if you were the Queen and I was your Knight, I would still be in this place asking you the same question, Will you marry me?" of course I said yes and we got some rings from the souveniour shop (one actually had a knight on it) which we still have today, and we wore them the rest of the day. After this I had the daunting task of telling my family, because I hadn't even told them I was dating someone yet. Needless to say, they were completely shocked, especially since he was not a member and was from Turkey which is in the middle east, although the side he lives in is the European side, where they are very modern. His family originally came from Germany and Russia. My family didn't have a clue how it was going to work out, but I had a strong feeling that a very specific prayer where I asked Heavenly Father to find me a man a couple months back was being answered. Every single thing that I listed in my prayer was a quality that he had. Also he had very sincerely started taking the discussions. Watching him as he learned the gospel was a wonderful experience, seeing the mighty change in his heart. He truly became like a child in the gospel, he was so excited about everything. He wanted to follow Jesus so closely that he insisted on being baptised in a river. So, in August 2004, he was baptised in a river by a waterfall in Ayr, Scotland. It was not a coincidence that when we finally came back to the U.S. in 2005, I was getting set apart for a calling from Bishop Johnson, who didn't know a thing about me or my husband, and he gave me a blessing with my whole family there where he said these words, "Heavenly Father wants you to know that your husband is a good man who was sent to you by him" I already knew, but it was a powerful confirmation of the spiritual promptings I had already received where I kept flashing back to my prayer and realizing every detail of it was answered. Also it was good for my family to hear it.

11 comments:

Elizabeth C said...

Awesome story girl! I'm glad that you finally posted something!

Elizabeth C said...

What a neat story, that is really cool Celestia.

enickel said...

Wow! I wish I had a story that exotic to tell! Kings, Queens and Knights. It is a story that every girl dreams of happening to them. You need to post a picture of you two. When did you get married and where are you living now? -Erika

sherrie said...

i remember you telling me you were getting married, i was shocked too! but after meeting fatih, he's a great guy and i'm glad you found your knight in shining armour!!

Mollie said...

That is soo awesome Celestia! Prayers are definately answered! Do you have any children? Post a picture of the two of you!

CBlount said...

How romantic! It's like a fairytale proposal. The time I met Fatih I thought how great of a person he is. Tell us about your life in Seattle:)

Autumn said...

That is so sweet!! Very creative guy. Lucky girl. What a story to tell your children. Very exciting.

sherrie said...

celestia you rock...nice myspace, beverly hills, what the...

Michelle said...

celestia, i love it. straight out of a novel. thanks for sharing!

Celestia said...

We got married December 16 2003, and we are living in Seattle now. Thanks for all your sweet comments.

Celestia said...

Oh I went to England to go to American Intercontinental University and study Media Production and Music Technology. I had a scholarship for part of my tuition. I wanted to live in another country and see what it was like in Europe. I met him at the fitness center I worked at. He used to come in his honda cbr motorcycle and because the lockers were too small he had to give reception his helmet. I put it on the floor and he protested because he is kind of obsessively clean. So after that everytime he came in I said, "oooh it's the special helmet" and put it up high somewhere on the shelf. Eventually we started talking whenever he came in and then he asked me out to go eat at a cafe on the river Thames and that is how it all began.