Thursday, September 14, 2006

church dances

i want to hear your church dance stories. i guess i'll start with my first memory of a church dance. it was michelle, brytteva, carie and myself. i was ready to go, all dressed up and all. of course i was shyer than ever so it's not like i dressed up for anyone but myself. so there i was standing against the wall talking with the girls, "so do you want to get some punch?" "ok" then we'd walk into the hall, take a few sips and walk back into the gym, back to the wall.

the boys had just gotten over their cooties, but we still didn't know how to congratulate them about it. they were all over on the other side scoping out the chicks. "hey i dare you to ask her next time" "ok" he says. but next time he doesn't move an inch, instead they look at each other and sigh "oh well". story of our pre-teen lives but there was an exception...the dynamic duo.

i remember them coming over to us girls at the wall and asking us to dance. come on older girls, you have to remember who i'm talking about. the two dorky, tall buddies that were at every church dance asking all the girls they could. one was brunette, one blond, and both left something to be desired.

well i'm not too proud to say that i got the blond one for my virgin slow dance. in fact, as i remember it...he was the only guy to ask me to dance for about a year or so. i dreaded "everything i do i do it for you"...it's bad enough that it's such a great song and you're wasting it on the blond stinky kid, but then when you think it's all over...it's not and he says, "oh wait, the song isn't over yet...." i remember a few times that i just kept walking, straight for the bathroom without looking back. "just keep walking" i would tell myself. then i would get into the bathroom and wait for a fast song to come on and make my way back to, yep you guessed it, the wall where i would safely join my friends again.

we wouldn't fast dance cause we didn't know how. i remember practicing in the bathroom a few times, but it didn't help much. or i'd just watch the older kids and wonder, "how do they do that?" i so wish someone would've video taped those dances for us...now that would be some entertainment!

5 comments:

enickel said...

I remember the first few years being that horrible, but we soon came out of our shells and had a great time. We always had a guy that we wished would ask us and unfortunately he never would! I think I ended up having to ask them. The fast songs were the best. Especially when we were on a Mountain Dew high or something and we all went crazy. I think the guys were just afraid of us, or at least that is what I tell myself.

Autumn said...

My first memory of a church dance in Lacey is The girls on the wall dressed to the nines I must say and Shad and Dustin throwing quarters on the floor. It reminded me of the movie Splash when the boys would do that to look up the girls dresses. Anyway it was hilarious. And I do remember a stinky brunette that would always ask me to dance but I do not remember his name. Fun times. I liked when we would dance in big circles and lip sync to all the songs. And line dancing of course. I do not even know if I can remember how to do it anymore!! It has been a long time!!

Angela said...

I remember all the guys were all trying to break dance. Some of them were pretty good. Also going into the girls bathroom and it being stocked full of girls getting ready. And even though the dance began at 8, they really didn't until about 9:30.

Mollie said...

I remember I always liked the dances after temple trips! We had been up since 4am or something and everyone was on a spiritual high and too tired to have any inhibitions(sp?) Fun!

Joy said...

I miss Stake Dances. When I was home in July I went with both sets of parents to the trek dance. Of course I brought my kids...they had a blast and I had a blast. It was so much fun. There is something about dancing that makes one feel like a teenager again. It is too bad here in Hawaii...they only have one stake dance a year! I weep for the kids in our ward...they will miss out on such good times.