Monday, August 07, 2006

Hey All,

Hope you don't mind a guy crashing your "ladies" blog. I've lost contact with most everyone but Michelle, Shad and Brady, so it's really cool to be able to hear what you are all up to.

Here's a recap of my life over the last few years. I got a masters degree in architecture a few years ago from the University of Idaho. While there I fell in love with a beautiful woman named Jenny, who was studying Art education. She loved art, loved the Beatles, and when she told me she thought Bill Gates was cute, I realized I actually had a chance! We got married a year or so later.

While in college I joined the Navy as a civil engineer corps officer. That was pre-911, so what I thought I would be doing and what I have actually wound up doing are pretty different. I was deployed to Afghanistan earlier this year and thankfully I leave in about a month. My job is extremely satisfying, as I work with the reconstruction engineers who are in the field, trying to rebuild this country...a task I don't know will ever be complete, but it's not for lack of trying. I act as a go-between for those engineers and the headquarters. I've travelled all over the country, and other than the occassional stray rocket or suicide bomber, have stayed out of harms way, thus far.

Jenny and I just celebrated our 6th anniversary this week. I have two children, Lucille (aka Lucy) who's 4, and Oscar (aka, Ossie, Oz, or The OZ-MAN). My children are just amazing to me. They've both already developed a good sense of humor and are just fun to be around. I miss them a lot. Jenny and the children spent about a month and a half in Olympia with my parents earlier this year.

My active duty time will be up in about a year and a half, at which time we're moving back to Olympia. I've been offered a job at an architect firm (www.msgsarch.com) in downtown Oly where I worked briefly before shipping off to the Navy. The firm handles most of the work for the Church in Washington state, and their plan is to have me take that over from the guy who's doing it now so he can retire. So my lifelong dream (well, at least since my senior year) of becoming a citizen of Olympia will be fulfilled.

The main loves of my life are my family and my band. One of Jenny's many talents is that she plays the drums. I picked up guitar a few years ago, and we were about 75% complete with an album that we and our other bandmates were working on before I deployed. Our band is called microMEGAS. Jake is involved as well, and we've convinced him to join full time when we move back to Olympia...it didn't take much to convince him. If any of you want a free copy of the album from my last band, send me your addresses (sterfryiv@yahoo.com). I've got plenty of copies to spare.

Otherwise things are good. I haven't given up my goals of illustrating books one day, but life has taken us a different direction for now. But it's okay...life is truly amazing to me. I worry so much about what the future will bring for my family and I, only to find each passing year that the Lord is taking care of it all, and that I am a passenger on a very beautiful, inspiring ride.

I hope to see many if not all of you once we're back in Olympia! Take care,

Sterling Ingram IV (aka, sterfry)

ps...I haven't quite figured out how to post photos but once I do I'll put up pictures of my family.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Ster-fry! glad to see you posted. thanks for the updates...you know, i have just started writing children's books (nothing published YET), and i'm looking for an illustrator...

enickel said...

Great to hear from someone new on the site. We just had a youth fireside given by a man who had just returned from Afganastan. He was retired but decided to offer up his expertise when the conflict started. He gave some great insight into the country. It was actually one of the best firesides I had been to in a long time. Thanks for your service!

Evelyn said...

Hi Sterling! (I'm waving)

Autumn said...

Loved hearing what you have been up to. I would love one of your cds. That Architecture gig sounds cool too. Hope ya get home safe!!

sherrie said...

well that's just wierd to hear from sterfry...man it's been what about 10 years? my favorite memory of you is riding in the very back seat of your white van and going over speed bumps! so much fun. sounds like things are going very well for you, so good to hear. my husband and myself would LOVE to have a cd...Neil does his own little local band thing here in sactown, it's a lot of fun, I'll have to email you my addy... good to hear from ya!

Mollie said...

Sterling! Life for you sounds so exciting! I hope your wife is doing okay, I don't know how army wives do it! She must be a very strong girl! I think what you are doing is so cool! God Bless!

Celestia said...

Sterling,
Wow! You're in Afghanistan! Thank you for your service. What you are doing is one of the most worthwhile things someone could be doing to change the world for the better. Those in the world who truly understand will be forever grateful. When I hear about what you are doing over there, it gives me more hope.

Angela said...

Sterling,
Take care of yourself over there. Our prayers have been with you the whole way. It helps me to remember all the soldiers because I think of you. How is Jenny doing? I saw Jake at Dan's reception. That was so neat! I haven't seen him in years. He is so real. I enjoy that about him. Who is this girl, with the great name, that he is dating? How much longer do you have? Hope your wife and babies will get to see you really soon.

Angela said...

I totally understand! If he were my bro, I wouldn't say a thing either! I just hope he is the next, after Dan, to join the club. He's a great guy and I hope he finds a girl as perfect for him, as Jenny is for you!