This past week I hit the "six-week slump" with my exercise routine - argh! Inevitably, whenever I get to six weeks of ANY kind of routine, something happens and I jump ship for a while. This week it happened to be that my boys and I got colds (with lots of coughing) - meaning little sleep and walking around like zombies.
I got back on track this morning with my walking, but I'm still calling on you for your exercise testimonials. Let me know 1) your favorite workout, 2) what you do if/when you hit a slump in your routine, and 3) benefits that you see from exercising regularly. I know we've talked a lot about this in the comments but if you have a few minutes and feel like sharing I would love to hear your thoughts specifically. Then I'll probably post them up next to my treadmill (or better yet, on my fridge, since that's where I gravitate toward when I NEED to be working out!!). Thanks, girlies!
Pounds lost: .5
Pounds to go: 43.5
Confessions: (see above)
What worked for me: It had been six weeks since I had made chocolate chip cookies, which could jokingly be considered sacrilegious in my house. In an effort to find a healthier recipe, this is what I found, made, and loved:
Low-Fat Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
4 T. butter
¾ c. packed brown sugar (or ¼ c. + 2 T. brown sugar splenda blend)
¾ c. sugar
½ c. unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
2 T. water
2 t. vanilla extract
1 ¼ c. all-purpose flour
¾ t. baking powder
¾ t. baking soda
½ t. ground cinnamon
¼ t. salt
2 ½ c. rolled oats
1 c. mini semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350. Spray baking sheet. Cream butter, brown sugar, and sugar until evenly blended. Add applesauce, egg whites, water and vanilla; beat until well mixed. Sift flour w/baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to creamed mixture; beat just until blended. Add oats and beat until oats are well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Using 1 tablespoon of dough for each cookie, drop 1 ½” apart on prepared sheet. Bake 12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Store in airtight container. Makes 4 dozen 2 1/2” cookies.
Monday, March 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I am glad you treated yourself to something nice like cookies, even when loosing weight its important to not deny yourself wonderful good treats. My indulgence is dark chocolate.
Everyone has off weeks--a week or so back I wasn't feeling well and barely exercised and gave in and had a few potato chips one day. I think the important thing is to be nice to yourself during times like this and then start again tomorrow. Enjoy the journey, if it takes a bit longer than planned--so what!
1) My favorite workout/exercise- yoga and really long Sunday walks through the park.
2) What I do if I hit a slump in my routine- Try not to beat myself up and start again tomorrow. I also try to vary my workout a lot depending on my mood for the day so I don't get frustrated or bored or start lacking motivation.
3) Benefits I see from exercising regularly--I used to take anti-depressants and was pretty darn miserable. With exercise (change of diet too) I'm completely off the pills. Besides the physical weight loss and benefits- I'm also a lot more at peace with myself, calm, happy, have more energy & strength, sleep better, have better focus and generally am a lot nicer to be around.
Hope you and your boys feel better soon. Something that makes me feel better when I'm under the weather is nice warm soup. A great immune booster is mushroom and garlic. Here's a quick recipe you might like:
4 cups mushroom or chicken broth
1 small onion chopped
4-10 gloves of garlic to taste, crushed and chopped
1 carrot grated
4-8 fresh shitake mushrooms, sliced
1-3 tablespoons grated ginger root to taste
1 fresh lemon, juiced
parsley to taste
Bring the broth, onion, garlic, carrot, musrooms and gingerroot to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer on low, covered for 15 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
Remove from heat, add the lemon juice and parsley. Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Serve.
Michelle,
I didn't even make it to six weeks before my slump. I still got to the gym 4 times this last week, but my weight is the same. My headaches and fatigue are starting to comeback, and really, I feel like sleeping. I have to change my routine regularly, like if there is a warm day, go outside and get my body breathing, then I feel like doing something more.
I'm a person who is hard to get to the party, but once I'm there, I'm happy. I told Brendan when I started this that I would hit the wall and he would need to encourage me because I didn't want to get off track. There's a reason we have companions. :)
I'm not good with recipes, I don't follow them, I guess I'm for chaos and experimentation.
But I'll tell you my honest motivation this week is #1 We're going to the beach in 3 weeks. Sherrie, we'll be in San Diego, yahoo!
#2 my health, I honestly feel that my life will be pro-longed, and while that doesn't always feel immediate, it helps.
Here's my hint for the week: Prayer. It may sound weird to pray for weight loss, or maybe it doesn't, but I know that when I involve Heavenly Father and the spirit, the prodding comes more readily.
Confessions: I tried organic chocolate ice cream. It's gooood! I did ration it out, I bought a pint.
Anyway, hope any of this may be of some help.
Exercise for me has always been about how I feel about myself emotionally. Up until a few months ago I always just did it to get out some excess frustrations. Then my sister told me she was getting married and now I am working out so I can not be "the sister who has two kids and it shows" at the wedding. Funny how life throws us modivation to work-out. I go through slumps as well - today is a slump for me. I walked/run 2 miles six days last week. But this morning a my little guy crawled into bed with me and so I rolled over this morning and turned off my alarm instead of getting up to exercise. The important choice I need to make is that tomorrow the alarm doesn't get turned off. I think everyone has slumps. Just make this week a non-slump week. Also as far as recipes. Try wraps. I have been eating a lot of salads lately and was getting kind of sick of them so I just threw my salad inside a low-fat tortilla. Make sure you still use the dressing - you just have to use a low-fat creamy. The vinigar kinds tend to run down your fingers. Throw some fruit on that wrap too. My fav is a chicken,lettus, spinach, strawberry, tomato, with poppy seed dressing on top then I wrap it all up. Sooo yummy - and I think pretty good for me. Hope this helps.
I am Anjuli, Joy's Sister I have been following this thread and I am glad for it. Like Joy sense our sister is getting married I don't want to be as Joy puts it "the sister that has two kids and shows it." So I have started working out also. I am glad because it helps me feel alot better. Luckly I can go to work out at the college here and can change my routine as I feel. Biking, running and now I have found a strength training class that I love. But I have to do it at 6:30 am before my husband leaves for the day but hey it gets me up and going. Thanks again for being so open it keeps me honest too.
just a quick message...i've already spent 20 minutes on here!! gotta get to work...
so slumps. well, it's true what everyone says, we all get in slumps and don't feel like moving, or we just can't seem to resist that chocolate. i have a friend here who has been my inspiration lately! she's a true blessing to keep me on track! she only eats treats on the weekends. i know, it seemed like a lame way to do things, why not just enjoy treats sparingly all the time? but the thing i like about the IDEA of it is, I'M in control. i say no, and stick to it. i can wait until friday night for a treat. sitting at my computer all day makes me want to snack all the time, so i have to be creative. but i also have to think about what it is i really want. i usually just grab the first thing i see, even if it's oreos! but not any more. if deep down i want sweet, i go get a fruit cup and some vanilla yogurt. if i want crunchy, maybe a few sun chips or almonds. as far as exercise...my motivation (and i don't mean this in a bad/hurtful way) is my mom. She has so many health problems because of her weight and i don't want to be like her in that way. i already know i have the ABILITY to keep myself healthy, i've done it in the past, so why should now be different? am i weaker? less intelligent? of course not! we get stronger and smarter all the time. part of our challenge in this life is to keep ourselves healthy, our bodies are temples. (thank you primary for that message!!) point is, we CAN master our physical bodies. i tell my sister all the time to pray about it. not that the weight will just disappear, but that she will receive the motivation and strength she needs to continue in her workouts. so, that's my statement! good luck with this next week:) i'm slowly building up to 2 miles a day jogging/walking. i threw my back out last week doing my regular exercises so now i'm JUST doing the jogging/walking...any ideas for a new work out...like a specific yoga to try? my back is better now! just want to be careful. again, have a wonderful week everyone!
Get yourself a buddy to go walking with commit to three days a week and then you feel obligated to go unless something major comes up. That works for me. I know when I work out I feel better about myself, I am happier and less stressed and therefore more patient and loving to my kids. Sometimes it is stressful getting out the door in the morning but there is something about being outdoors in the fresh air that makes us all feel better. Maybe it is the vitamin D from the sunshine which is in short supply in Washington. I don't know if anyone really loves working out. Because the truth is it is hard and takes up time but it is worth every minute for your health and sanity. Like Christine said jump back on the wagon right away so the slump doesn't last long. Make it one of those daily things you have to do before anything else. I know if I wait til later in the day, it does not get done.
LOL to Joy's comment! I was the "sister that has two kids and it shows!" All I need to do to get motivated to exercise, is to look at the picture of me at my sister Liz's wedding! LOL! That gets me going! Also, I am always happier and more relaxed, when I get back from exercising.
christine - i like your "be nice to yourself" advice. i've requested some yoga videos from the library and can't wait to see how i like them. i'm glad to see that exercise has helped with your depression. that's a tough one to deal with. and thanks so much for the recipe!! yum!
lu - great advice...and it looks like you've got some great motivation going on! how long will you be in SD?
joy - those wraps sound tasty! that is definitely something i will try, especially when the weather warms up a little. i always get the bagged salad 'cause it's easy, but i tend to get sick of it really quick, so thanks for the tip!
anjuli - i think i've been in denial that the best way for me to workout is to get up at 6:30! ha! especially after this last week, i know that's what i have to do. i'll keep your comment in mind when the alarm goes off!
jen - thanks for everything you shared! those are some fabulous snacking tips and great motivation for being who you want to be. another one i'll be chanting to myself as i roll out of bed...
autumn - good reminder about being outdoors. the past couple of weeks have held a few nice days and the kids and i have taken advantage. we've played t-ball and soccer and it's been so fun and rejuvenating! i still think i need you closer to kick my butt - nobody has ever done it like you could! ;)
g.g. - you're inspiring me to join a gym and take a class. i've never thought i needed/wanted to because i own a treadmill, but i remember that the times i've been most successful with exercise is when i'm in a class i enjoy. when do you start teaching yours?
angela - it's weird, but i agree that exercise makes you more relaxed. maybe it's because the thought of having to do it isn't haunting me ALL DAY LONG! ha.
thanks, ladies, i really needed to hear this. you guys are the BEST!
Yeah, Ohio!! You are supposed to be moving back to the great Northwest!! Get that school done!!
Post a Comment