Saturday, March 31, 2007

That's it, I quit!

Well one of my babysitters is pregnant having major morning sickness, migraines and the works. Plus her son is in baseball and she has to have my kids gone by 4 every day. Doesn't work too well when you get off at 5. The other babysitter's husband is going to some top secret thing for work and who knows when he'll be getting back, and since she already has 4 of her own, including a 5 month old baby and a toddler younger than Lacy, she can't do it anymore without him home. Another of my backup's husband has PTSD and can't handle extra kids around so she's out. Another friend that used to watch the girls can't because she has two exactly the same ages as mine and it just is too hard. The lady who used to watch Lacy is recovering from cancer. And my dad retired so my mom & dad are always traveling. I think they have a 10 day cruise coming up in a month or two that ends in Europe, and they have no return plane ticket. They're going to bum around Europe for a couple weeks and catch a military hop back to the States.

So, basically, I have nobody to watch my kids. I can't afford daycare, which costs about $1500/month for both kids (YOWZA!) and considering that I bring home maybe $500 a month beyond that, it's just not worth it. Dave has health insurance starting today so I'm home free. Dave has given me the go ahead to put in my notice.

So Department of General Administration... YOU'RE ON NOTICE!

HA! It feels so good.

Now I'm going to need tips on how to be a housewife. I'm completely clueless. I'm messy by nature and am so completely disorganized it's not even funny. I'd say it's because I'm a disorganized genius but you guys know me too well, so obviously that isn't the case! To try to make up for some of the lost funds, I'm going to start sewing mei tais (a type of baby carrier that is gorgeous because I make it out of brocade fabric and awesomely comfortable) and sell them at some of the hoity toity shops downtown and hopefully I'll eventually expand to selling mei tais, diapers, and other children's items in local shops and online. I have a few super cool ideas for diapers that I may need baby testers to try out, so if anyone is using cloth or interested in trying it out, hopefully I'll have some prototypes to give to you to test out in a few months.

I may also try my hand at freelance writing. I have an article that I've been wanting to write for some time now. Maybe someone will buy it.

11 comments:

christine said...

I am sure that you'll do fabulous staying at home and with the business stuff. Try e-bay first to sell some of your things. You can actually start a e-bay shop on there too. This way you can get some funds before you expand!

Evelyn said...

Well, first...congratulations! I love being a stay at home mom and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Second, buy yourself some tylenol because its the hardest job you'll ever have! But totally worth it!

My biggest tip would be to start a good routine and really stick to it. Seems like kids thrive on routine. Be really strict about it until the kids get used to it.

For us, lunch time is also nap & quiet time so I never plan anything for that time of the day...no visitors, no appointments... Oh, and if your kids are too old for naps they are the perfect age for a 'quiet' time. Mine are expected to play quietly in their rooms for about 45 minutes. Its more of a 'mom gets a break time' but they don't know that!

You can also add things to your weekly schedule. Like tuesday afternoons you go to the library or thursdays you go the park. Make a little calender so they know what to expect.

And as for being disorganized, thats one thing you shouldn't get too hung up on. Why clean up the toys at lunch time just to do it again at bed time, you know? But make the kids a part of it. I've always liked the idea of the Toy Fairy. She'll take any toys that are left out at the end of they day so if you want to see the toy again, you better put it away!

Anyway, you'll do great!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Evy, love the "Toy Fairy", that is hilarious! Well, on organization, I would suggest giving the children simple tasks, they are still so young, and set attainable goals for yourself each day. I.E. "Today I will do all my regular stuff AND organize one area in the home completely." This works for me, I wish you the best! You will have so much fun!

Anonymous said...

People have organized cupboards??
I can't say that I'm an organized mom, I guess I'm in the middle. One thing to be careful about is too much organization, kids feel like everything needs to be fair and their lives will fall apart if they are in a constant routine and it's broken.
I think you will have a great time. You can do whatever you want. Go to the park, read books, lay on the floor while Barney is babysitting, make homemade bread, or just snuggle.
I wouldn't trade being a stay at home mom for anything.

enickel said...

I love being with my babies. It is tough many of the days, but with all of the noise and clutter comes hugs and kisses all day long!

sherrie said...

you go girl! quit that job ;) isn't it a great feeling?

Chanda said...

Hey, I think it is so great that you get to stay home now. It doesn't always feel so rewarding but it is. I actually saw you a few weeks ago by the capital. You must have been walking back to work from your lunch break. I was driving past and I did not even recognize you until after I had driven past. You were all dressed up for work. You were looking all professional!! We should get together with the kids at a park sometime.

Angela said...

You go girl! I am proud of you for taking this step into the unknown, and having the faith that Heavenly Father will bless you! I know that you, your hubby, and your sweet girls will benefit from it and be happy that you chose this!

jen bryner said...

wow, this must be pretty exciting for you! my favorite is the first day you realize you don't have to work...you can't help but smile! i have no advice to give on being a stay-at-home mom...i wish i did! i'm trying to get it down myself:) i'm sure it's all about prioritizing and organizing, two of my worst qualities! hahahahaha!! but you'll love being home with your cuties. just make sure you get out and mingle with the other moms, you NEED it when you're out of the working world! ha, look at that, i DID have some advice after all! hey, you have my email, why don't you ever write??? love ya-

Evelyn said...

I thought of something else that has really helped me! I made myself a chore schedule. For example, Mondays I clean the bathrooms, Tuesdays I vacuum, Wed I clean the kitchen, etc. I wrote it down really big and stuck it to my fridge. It has really helped me because I know what I need to get done that day. Plus it helps everything stay cleaner...better than putting it off for 3 weeks and then cleaning a really nasty mess!

Laundry is sort of a whenever thing. And obviously if the floor needs vacuuming on a different day, it gets done.

Good luck!

Michelle said...

i would agree with most of the ladies in saying that breaking down chores has really helped me. also, i've learned to lower my expectations as far as how my house looks! you will love being at home and witnessing all of the little miracles that happen in your girls' lives everyday!