Okay all, I've decided it's time to get rid of my baby weight. It took me 18 months after I had Parker to do something about it - this time it's only 11! I'm following the Weight Watchers' points system (how I did it before), but the one difference this time is that I am not going to attend the meetings. Since I know the system so well, I feel like the only benefit to attending meetings is for accountability, which is not worth $10 a week to me. So, I'm counting on you ladies (who I trust) to check up on me.
My goal is to lose 55 pounds (yes, that's 5-5) by November. I started last week and already lost 6.5 pounds, so I'm on my way! Each Monday I will post on here how much I lost (or gained...eek), food confessions, and what worked for me. If I have a recipe that I loved, I'll post that, too. Now, do not feel obligated to comment - just knowing that people may be reading will keep me feeling accountable. However, if you would like to share with me any tips, strategies, recipes, workouts, etc. that work for you I would LOVE to hear about it. Also, if any of you want to join me on this quest, it would be fun to hear how you are doing, too (not inferring that any of you need to lose weight!). So, here is my first week's post:
Pounds lost this week: 6.5
Pounds to go: 48.5
Food confessions: I really did stay on track this week! In fact, a low-fat recipe I tried for dinner that really went over well with my family was this one:
Meatloaf Muffins
1 Pound Extra Lean Ground Beef
4 oz. Zucchini, unpeeled and shredded
1 Egg
1 Cup Ore Ida Hash Browns, frozen
1/2 Cup Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 Package (3 oz.) Kraft Stove Top Seasoned Stuffing Mix
1/4 Cup Reduced Fat Parmesan Cheese
1/2 teaspoon Minced Garlic
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 Cup Ketchup
1/4 Cup Onion, chopped
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together. Divide evenly into 12 muffin tins (I used a 1/3 measuring cup to divide the mixture). Bake 30-40 minutes or until done. These would be good as hamburgers also. Instead of placing the mixture into muffin tins, Make 12 hamburger patties, then grill or bake.
Serves: 12Per Serving: 163 Calories; 8g Fat (44.5% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 44mg Cholesterol; 291mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. WWP: 4 (www.AimeesAdventures.com)
What worked for me: What I did before to lose weight, and am starting again, is this workout from coolrunning.com. Because I don't want to risk injury with so much weight left to lose, I'm actually doing it as a walk/speed walk regimen on my treadmill. For those of you who want to get into running, this program is a fabulous way to start.
Thanks, ladies, for being my support group! Have a great week!
Monday, February 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
Wow Michelle, I am very impressed with 6.5 pounds in one week! You have almost inspired me to put down the artichoke dip I am eating. I am with you on the weight loss idea. I need to lose 30 lbs and would like that to be gone by...ASAP. It usually takes me at least a year so I will say I want it gone by next November also. Your recipe idea sounds great. I will try that one. My friends and I started a dinner club where we feed each other's families one day a week. I will feed the four families on Tuesdays. Your recipe will be put to good use!
You go girl!! I am also trying to lose weight. I would like to lose 35-40 pounds before this summer. My personal goal is to not buy the junk at the store because it is easier for me, to say no for 45 minutes, then no for 2 weeks. My only advice, a lady I visit teach is a Personalized Trainer. She taught me something new this week. She said that your muscles get bored doing the same thing. For example, she said she sees people come in everyday and run 40 minutes and nothing happens. So they up it to two times a day. Still nothing. She said you should alternate the exercise, like an aerobic video one day, treadmill the next, then maybe pilates the next, or whatever. I was so shocked because I have never heard this before. But it sure explains a lot of my problem! I am so excited to have this knowledge and just thought I would share. However, you don't seem to have a problem, as you already lost 7 pounds! Wow! Keep up the good work and good luck!
that's awesome michelle! i was just talking to my sister-in-law who is doing weight watchers and she lost 2 pounds in one week, so you must be working 3 times harder than she is. i'm such a slacker at working out, but thanks for the inspiration michelle - i need to start like... yesterday!
You rock Michelle! I love your candor. For me, excercise is so important because it helps my mental as well as physical state. I have a friend who comes over w/ her kids three mornings a week (m/w/f). One of us works out while the other watches the kids. Then we switch. Our kids get along, and excercise is important to her, too, so we all benefit. My goal is to run a 5 or 10K this spring. On T/Th I do weights in my living room to a show that I have recorded to the DVR. I can say that doing weights 2-3 times a week has reshaped "stuff." I had heard the benefits of weights, but it was amazing to me the benefits it has! I think that including this in any program or plan is crucial! Okay, that's my advice. I also have an awesome white chicken chili recipe that we eat all the time. It's very healthy and flavorful. Just watch out for all the beans!! I'll post it soon. I've written a novel, so gotta go right now!
Funny Erika, I just re-started a dinner thing too, and my night is tuesday as well. ha ha. I need to realistically lose 10 pounds, but twenty would be fantastico, but after four babies, probably not realistic.
So Mickey, way to go, I'm all about accountability. Since posting my new years res's, the only one I've stuck with is reading my scriptures everyday. I just have to mentally commit, and make it known. So let's go, you post your progress, I'll post mine, I'll confess when I've eaten a "granola/junk bar" and fruit snacks instead of sitting down and eating lunch. Exercise is a must for me, like Carie, for my mental stability, and it seems I get acid reflux when I don't. Anyway, good luck, I'm in, let's go. How about some reward system? Give me some ideas people, I'll throw in a bi-weekly prize, but it's got to be body fat percentage since we're all different. Seriously, I'll send it to the winner every two weeks. Game on!
Congratulations Michelle! I know how hard it is to loose weight and keep it off. I lost 30-40 lbs (3 dress sizes) recently by a complete lifestyle change. I am trying to loose another 30 lbs so I am in the 'healthy zone' for my BMI index. From my experiences--the biggest problem with loosing weight is the diet thing--it just doesn't work, it's not long lasting and it messes your system up even more. It has to be a "life" change from this point onwards. From my experience and based on the massses of reading I've done on this what's really worked for me is the following:
Diet
1) Portion sizes
(use smaller plates, use your fist as a guide-don't put anything bigger than this on your plate)
2) Cut out the processed foods--this is the hardest thing ever to do but you'll notice the most difference from. Increase the natural & raw foods (5 portions of veggies or fruits a day) in your diet--our bodies weren't meant to take the 'fake food' in that we do now days. Cook FRESH as much as you can!
3) Try to increase the 'organic' or free range food in your diet even just a little. This is a toughy because of the expense but I read somewhere that because of all the chemicals in our bodies from foods we carry around between 10-20 lbs in just toxins. The hormones in the meat plus all these artificial flavors and enhancers mess with your system, decrease your immunity and deaden your tastebuds.
Excercise/General:
1) Fix your head--deal with the emotions surrounding your eating, etc. Stress can make you gain weight as well.
2) Move more--it doesn't have to be at an expensive gym--just be more active--go for walks, jump on trampolines anything really. Personally, I love yoga in particular but also do running, pilates, walking, hiking and the occassional swim. If you have a hard time getting out cause of your kids buy a yoga dvd and do it when they are napping or something?
3) Educate yourself--read up on Nutrition and on how to read food labels. I would recommend "Fast Food Nation"--this put me off from ever eating fast food again.
4) Get rid of your scale or don't look at it very often--go by your clothes and inches. Anything above a 35" waist for women is considered unhealthy and at risk for heart disease.
Hope these suggestions help--sorry about the length of this post I could go on and on as I really know a lot about this subject!
I think its great you are taking the initiative!! Those first steps are always the hardest, for me anyway. Good luck!!
Your the meaning in my life...Your the inspiration! 6.5 pounds in a week?! I wish I had half of your self control! You are awesome!
you guys are AWESOME! i actually just wrote out personalized responses to each of you, tried to publish, and it wouldn't let me...argh! but seriously, thank you for all of your tips, many of which were things i didn't know before and some that were great reminders. good luck to all of you on the journey with me! see you on monday....
It was nice to hear that I am not the only one wanting to loose 10-15 lbs. after having my kids. Angela - I think I am in that rut. I have been speed walking on my treadmill two miles 5-6 days a week for 18 months now and nothing. I need to try something different. Thanks for the tips everyone!
Okay, here it is, I've never been one to say that any one diet or any one way is right, but I have to tell you that the last few days I have gone totally organic, we'll see how long it lasts, but I think Christine is right about toxins in our body, I've always had "swollen legs and hands", and since saying no to all the processed stuff, each one of my calves have lost an inch in two days. This is an experiment for me, I've been ill for a long time and the last few days have been much better, less headaches and all of that. We'll see if it continues, if it's just a placebo mentality, but I'll keep you all informed.
hey lucinda - i've been gradually going organic since i started working for "the organic bath co." and getting to see the effects that chemicals and toxins have on our bodies. i think that it's such a different life style for me - i have to do it in steps. one at a time, buy something organic here and there until i am totally organic - that's my plan. that's awesome that you've seen an improvement in a few days. the girls i work with freak out if anything we have in the office is not organic - so i'm peer pressured into it as well! but in this case it's a good peer pressure ;)
Just a quick thing to follow up on organic food what Lucinda said--since I have eaten more organic food I haven't had a full blown cold in nearly an entire year now. I'll get a sniffle or sore throat and it will go away after a day. I can't afford 100% organic but my diet is about 60-70% this and I've noticed a huge difference. The meat is what I try to never fudge on--always free range or organic. I think its funny though how you are charged more money for things that are natural!
The meat thing in mind--I read an interesting article over here in response to a recent bird flu outbreak over here in England. The theory was that bird flu is nature's way of fighting back against the horrific conditions these birds live under. Emotions easily effect our bodies and the natural chemicals from stress (cortisol)can easily linger in our muscles and organs for quite some time. If you take this theory and apply it to animals--we are taking in all of their stress from the conditions and the type of food they eat (some are fed other animals as well unfortunately). It sounds cheesy but it's all one big cycle in my opinion!
Michelle, You know I have always been a fan of the firm for weight lifting and cardio all in one. I walk on the other days with a bunch of ladies in the ward. I love that to get with women and talk and bring the kids and bikes. Recently, I read Dr. Oz's book you on a diet. Great Book. Explains our organs and why we need certain foods and why things like high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils are bad for us. It is hard to eat foods without all that extra stuff. You have to really read the labels. There is good stuff out there even for kids. Stick to goldfish and goldfish pretzels(no hydrogenated oil) Annies brand also has some crackers and cookie snacks. Also the multigrain wheat thins. Otherwise everything has the bad stuff. We eat alot of fruit and yogurt and pudding and jello and string cheese and trail mix because the nuts are not roasted. Anyway, good luck I will be joining you after I have my baby. I will try your website for running.
that is so cool heather. I'd love to come to your class. I bet you'll have a lot of fun. How much do they pay for that sort of job. Always wondered.
Post a Comment