I probably shouldn't be writing right now because I'm in "a mood". But the board has been slow lately and I do have a request for advice (I'll get to that) so here I am.
In my last update, some of you gals asked for an update. I'll try to make it short. As you know, we left Boise just before Christmas and moved here to Iowa. We're living with one of Charles's brothers, his wife and their 3 girls. We are about an hour from my in laws and that has proved to be a blessing. One of the main reasons we moved here is because my father in law is losing a battle with cancer and in the 5 weeks that we've been here he has gone even more down hill. So we've spent a lot of time with his family which has been good for everyone.
Charles got a graphic design internship which he is really enjoying. It'll go on for another 2 months or so. Then he will start another big job search. He's been trying to find a part time job in the meantime but no luck yet. But, honestly, between his dad's health and me being so far along, if he doesn't find a part time job it'll be okay.
The kids are doing alright. I can't seem to keep them healthy since being here. Its just one cold after another! My 3 year old, Joe, has had a rough time. One of his cousins is just a few weeks older than he is and they are constantly butting heads. I find myself being the referee several times a day and its really, really frustrating for us (me, Charles and Joe). He doesn't like his new primary class and he asks at least once a day if we can go back to Boise, back to 'our' house. It really breaks my heart.
I went for about 8 wks without seeing a doctor because we lost our insurance, then moved and then it took awhile to get all the paperwork done for state assitance. That finally went through and I actually saw a doctor this morning. The baby (who we will be naming Clark) is doing fine. But I found out that I have gestational diabetes. Geesh, if its not one thing its another! I don't know much yet, really just what I've read online. I have to make an appt to see a specialist tomorrow. And I'm just suprised because I haven't had this problem with my other pregnancies.
I'm not a big fan of Iowa or the midwest in general (even though I've lived out here for a combined total of about 5 yrs). Its so cold! A high of 2 degrees is expected for this weekend! Living with family is going better than I thought (besides the kids always fighting). My sister in law and I get along well and its nice that we have each other to talk to about the kids and our father in law. We've worked out a cooking schedule and its nice to have live-in babysitters! I had really hoped that we would be in our own place a settled by the time the baby was born but it doesn't look like that will be the case. Theres good and bad aspects to it, I guess.
Can you tell I'm just feeling a little down?!! It comes and goes but its been particularly rough few days. So thats my update!!
And my request for advice...have any of you had the gestational diabetes? How did it go for you? Did everything turn out okay?
Hope everyone is doing well! We need updates from everyone!!
Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Sounds like you are having quite a challenging time right now. The Lord knows what he is doing and everything will come together for you when the time is right. I have been in slightly similar situations before and it is just amazing to me when I look back and see how it seemed crazy but it worked out just perfectly in the end. I do not have any experience with gestational diabetes. Good luck with that. Hang in there.
Good to hear an update from you Evelyn. It sounds like you guys have been having some trials lately. You are a strong woman, and you are in our prayers. I agree with Chanda, the Lord only gives us trials that will make us stronger, and that we can handle, and you will make it through in time. I hope that everything gets better for you soon. Take care.
You are in our prayers too Evelyn! I'm sorry to tell you that I don't know anything about Gest. Diabetes either. My only advice for you is to start a gratitude journal. I was struggling with some trials and started one. You just write 10 things you are grateful for each day. It really helped me to see everything I had to be thankful for and it helped take my mind off my struggles.
don't know much about gestational diabetes but i know a little something about graphic design. if you haven't already, check into craigslist.com for job openings in your area, it's a great resource. good luck!
Evelyn, diabetes? What would you like to know? I've had it for 13 years, and have gone through four babies with diabetes. The only difference is I am able to take insulin, so I could eat a little. I'm afraid you may feel like you're starving as you cut the carbs. Luckily, the carb craze has made it a little easier for us. Let me just give you a few pointers, never count sugars, always carbs. Carbs turn into sugars. Don't eat cereal, it spikes your blood levels and leaves you feeling horrible. Try proteins in the morning like omelettes. Try not to eat fast carbs, things that quickly turn into sugars. My advice would be to read the south beach diet book, not that I've done it, but I've read it and it is pretty much how diabetics should eat.
It will be hard and I feel for you. Your motivation will be that baby, keeping your blood sugars level will save his life, make you feel better, and keep him from being 10 pounds at three weeks early. Ask me anything, anytime. I'll give you my alternate email, one I use in public domains, sevans93@msn.com
One more thing, when things were hard for me, like you are feeling right now, reading the Joseph Smith "if hell shall open it's mouth wide after thee" one, it didn't make me feel better, it was hard to read, and hard to hear other people's problems. Two things kept going through my head, "thy will be done" and "thy timing be done".
Watch for the tender mercies, they will happen.
One of my friends had gestational diabetes with er last baby and she followed the South Beach diet. Anyway it should go away after you have had the baby but it can be a sign of getting diabetes later in life. I hope that is not your case it would be very hard for me to change my eating habits. Good Luck you are a trooper. Living with other people is hard even if you love them.
Sorry to hear you're having a rough time right now Evelyn. It's not easy sometimes and you just have to take one hour and one day at a time. Have never heard of gestational diabetes--sounds like you've already googled it on the computer though which is what I would have recommended. I agree Diet could probably help with any health issues and will make you feel better within yourself as well and will help keep your kids healthy. The funny thing about what I know about the South Beach Diet is that really its how people should be eating any way--lots of whole grains, fruits and veg and limited and lean meats and a lot of fish. It can be expensive to eat healthy especially if money is tight--look for farmer's markets (cheaper veggies), plant vegetables in house plant pots, shop around and buy things like rice and beans in bulk and big pots of homemade soup always go around far and are really cheap and healthy as well. It is possible to eat healthy though for cheap--you just have to be creative. But seriously--you will really notice a difference!
Anyway, Hope things get better for you, keep your chin up!
You guys are so great! Thank you for all the comments and support! I really appreciate being able to come here and vent and know that I will only get positive feedback! Thank you thank you thank you!!
I will have to check out the south beach book. I skimmed through it once but that was a long time ago!
Thanks again, you are all so great!!
Evy,
You are amazing! Thanks for sharing the latest and keep us updated on that baby! I love the name Clark! I have that on my list spelled with a "K". I'm so sorry about the G.D.. The only hope I can offer is that they once falsely diagnosed me with it. It turns out that eating an entire box of cookies right before your blood draw is a bad idea....Who would've thought?! :) You are a very strong girl, Evy! I know you will make the best of everything...You go girl! Love you!
Post a Comment