Monday, February 19, 2007

Week #3

Not to take away from this great discussion on motherhood, but...

I am back on the losing path! This week went well, but was full of challenges. I kept feeling that the "theme" of my week was BREAKFAST. I have really come to find that when I eat a breakfast that is loaded with fiber, low in sugar and is something I look forward to eating, then I have a great rest of the day and I'm not starving. Some of my faves are:

1. 1 c. Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal with 1 c. yogurt and a piece of fruit

2. Mushroom, Salsa & Cheese Egg White Omelet with a piece of whole wheat toast

3. Oatmeal - 1/2 c. old fashioned oats, 1 c. milk & a dash of salt for three minutes in microwave. Then add 1 t. sugar (or 1/2 T. splenda), cinnamon, and one of the following combinations...1/2 mashed ripe banana with 1 T. chopped walnuts; 2 T. dried cherries with 1 T. sliced almonds; or 1/4 c. chopped apple with 1 T. chopped pecans. Yum!

Pounds lost: 3.0
Pounds to go: 46.5

Food confessions: This week, being Valentine's Day, was a tricky one for me with all of the kiddie parties and chocolates from Peter. I did eat my little chocolates, but accounted for them in my eating plan. And I must add that I really enjoyed them.

What worked for me: Okay, this may sound really wierd, but to go along with my breakfast theme I must share. I woke up on Sunday morning REALLY craving pancakes, but knowing that it is a junk breakfast was about to give up. Then I looked and found a way to make them with oatmeal! They were delicious, and totally fulfilled my desire for pancakes. Here's how:

Take above mentioned oatmeal recipe and, after adding all ingredients, let it sit for five minutes while you preheat your griddle (350 degrees - a little lower than normal). Spray griddle with cooking spray, then add 1/3 c. of oatmeal mixture at a time to griddle, making approximately 3 pancakes. They take a little longer to cook per side, but in the end they look just like pancakes. Add 2 T. of syrup and you are SET. Parker even loved them!

How was your week, ladies?

13 comments:

christine said...

I love finding ways to substitute your favorites with healthier alternatives. People weren't kidding when they said breakfast was the most important meal of the day--sounds like you've got this down. My favorite breakfasts are oatmeal with honey and organic muesli with soya milk. Well done on loosing weight this week Michelle!

Jenny G. said...

Michelle, I just wanted to thank you for your weekly post and eating advice. Although I going the opposite direction (going to be putting on baby weight), it keeps my mind thinking healthy so I can gain a steady healthy amount of weight. I have been fortunate thus far in that I can't stand anything sweet, but I know that will change and I will once again have to control my cravings! You are so awesome and sound like such a wonderful cook! Thanks so much!!

Anonymous said...

Mickey,

Way to go chica! My losses are not so grand, 3 pounds is awesome for one week.
Here is mine:

I lost 1.2 pounds, which almost makes 3 pounds in two weeks.
I've lost in these two weeks, two inches off my waist and one and a half off my abdomen, two inches off my calves, and two inches off my bust line. Next week I'll measure the rest of me.

Things that worked for me:
Working out is very enjoyable for me, went to the gym 3 times, jogged one night and played volleyball for 3 and a half hours another night. (I was sore, but happy!) So all in all, 5 days out of 7.

I did eat one chocolate on Valentines and did enjoy it, although I think it was more enjoyable to my brain than my taste.

I've stuck with whole foods, which is a challenge when I'm in a hurry, so organic bars help me out when I need something.

Thanks for the challenge Mickey, I had a dream about you last night, actually most all of you were in it come to think of it.
Anyway, enough rambling, keep up the good work!

christine said...

Sorry-Forgot to mention-I think in your weekly updates you should always say how you did on the excercise/activity level thing. Looking back on the three updates you've done--you've been good on food, but only your first one mentions you started running. Although weight loss is 60% diet and 40% excercise (at least at first anyway), one won't work without the other. How were you on portion sizes and eating fruits and veggies this week? Do you drink enough water? Have you been good on reading labels? Anyway--I'll shut up now :0)

Anonymous said...

Jenny, did I miss that announcement?! Congrats! When are you due?! Michelle, you amaze me.

Michelle said...

jenny - pregnancy is the WORST for me for trying to stay healthy...between morning sickness and the cravings, i can never stick to my goals! it sounds like you are doing great so far, and i'm sure the craziness of moving into a new place will keep your mind off of those cravings! good luck!

superstar lu - awesome! keep in mind that i have A LOT more weight to lose than you, and for that reason it will come off quicker for me in the beginning. your inches losses are really telling your story. i am so proud of you for sticking to your plan and getting in all that exercise! three and a half hours of volleyball - you are die hard. sounds like a lot of fun. funny about the dream - i have had a lot more dreams with you guys in them now that we are all back in contact! keep up the good work, friend!

christine - glad to find another oatmeal lover! yes, i was just thinking this morning that i need to change "food confessions" to just plain "confessions." that will allow me to update my workout progress as well. i have been doing great, actually, at working in cardio three times a week and strength training twice a week. that, too, helps curb my appetite for the day and gives me an overall energy that i normally lack. i'm taking in 3-4 servings of veggies/fruits per day, and drinking 8 glasses of water. as far as labels go, i have been checking mine and i've realized that most of the foods i eat do not list partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, sugar, or high fructose corn syrup in the first five ingredients, so i feel good about that. thanks for the inquisition!

mol - right back at ya, kid.

Anonymous said...

Gigi aka Georgial girl,
I know how you feel lady, my clock is ticking too. It plateau's all too easily. Keep up the fight. Are you okay? Is your health issue resolved?

Jenny,
I feel for you, but I can't say anything about not gaining weight during pregnancy, I balloon!

Anonymous said...

Keep it flowing sister! Love you!

christine said...

Michelle you are doing way better than me with the strength training it sounds. I struggle with doing once a week. I'm really good on diet (except my vice= Green & Black's Organic Dark Chocolate) and other exercise. Currently I'm doing about 5-6 days of excercise a week which part of this includes 2 days doing yoga and 3-4 days doing some other cardio (running, etc). However-for some reason, I haven't yet gotten over the hurdle of weight training though and it takes a heck of a lot of motivation to get myself to do weights once a week. Would love advice on how to get more motivated on weights. I think for me its a mental block--I need to learn to 'love' the weights.

One quick thing on fruits/veggies--what helps me get my 5 a day is ocassionally having smoothies for breakfast (you can use frozen fruit for cheaper options) and having a piece of fruit for a mid-morning/mid-afternoon snack.

Thanks for sharing on how you did on labels, water and exercise Michelle--I know I'm being rather agressive on my advice. Hope it's not annoying or anything. It's just since trying to get my own weight issues under control-I've been a bit gung-ho when it comes to food and everything related. I get really excited about healthy living and I like regurgitating my knowledge I guess! Although I managed to loose about 40 lbs--I'm not even close to being an expert (the last 40 lbs have been way way harder to loose)but just thought I'd share what I've learned along the way. Weight loss can be a very very lonely process and I think its cool you are sharing your 'quest' on here. Its a lot easier to reach your goals amongst friends.

* Heather thanks for sharing about what happened to you. I'm quite impressed with the strength of character you have to deal with something like that. :0)

Michelle said...

g.g. - thanks for sharing your story...i have known quite a few girls this has happened to recently and i can only imagine the emotional roller coaster it puts you on. you are a strong lady with a great, eternal perspective and we love it when things get juicy on here;) and i hear you about the body not bouncing back these days...i think it's a 30's thing...argh.

lu - i need repellant for cadbury mini eggs...i seem to be a magnet for them.

christine - since all i own are some hand weights, i've enjoyed doing "15 minute workouts for dummies" - ha! there are four workouts on the dvd...buns, thighs, arms and abs and each one is 15 minutes of strength training. the name says it all for me when it comes to knowing what i'm doing with strength training, so this dvd has been great!

i really appreciate the questions and have no problem responding - i'm actually looking at my posts as my "fitness journal" and will be printing them out to keep and refer to later, so any information i can add is only helping me along! thanks for all the great advice!

sherrie said...

keep working hard michelle and it will pay off! i think that's the key to this as you i'm sure already know. stick with our plan. that's where i always get in trouble, i do real good at working out then go through a slum.

i was doing really good at not eating junk until v-day came along and with it a bunch of chocolates and sugar cookies. but i've rid the house of them (by consumption) and now i'm starting fresh!

heather - thanks for sharing your story, sorry for your loss - i know somewhat of what you went through although i didn't have a d&c - it still is not fun. i like what you said about not loosing a spirit but that they are just waiting for a good body. that's very comforting.

Angela said...

Okay, remember last week when I said I was bad. Well sisters, that didn't even compare to this week!! Ahh!! Holidays are hard for me. Baking for parties, parties, visiting teachers, friends bringing goodies, etc. Luckily though, I did great at exercising! I exercised every day except Sunday. Even though I did gain one pound, I am totally noticing good differences in my body, which motivates me! And with Valentine's Day over, here's hoping...

Chanda said...

Filling the Fiber Gap:
In my health magazine there is an article about fiber and how it can help you lose weight and a lot of us do not get the recommended 25-30 grams a day. Here are a few recipe combinations that the article recommends:
Salad
1Cup Cherry tomatoes halved
1Cup Black Beans
1TBS. fat free red wine vinaigrette
1/4 diced peeled avocado
Mix all except avocado; let sit 15 min. Fold in avocado
Serving size: about 1 cup
153 calories; Fat 3g; Protein 7g; Carb 26g; Sugars 7.6g; Fiber 15.2g; Iron 1.7mg; Sodium 220mg; Calcium 50mg

Oatmeal and Pumpkin:
2cup cooked oats
1cup canned pumpkin
2TBS brown sugar
1/2C fat free milk
In a saucepan, stir all together over medium heat 5 minutes
Serving size: 1 and 1/2 C.
Cal 263; Fat 3.5; Protein 9g; Carb 53.5; Sugars 21g; Fiber 7g; Iron 3.9mg; Sodium 44.6mg; Calcium 138mg