Monday, February 26, 2007

Happy Birthday Carolyn!

Thanks Michelle for getting me back on here. Just in time...Carolyn's birthday is tomorrow, and I just had to remember her on her special day!
Carolyn, I remember when I thought it was so cool that I was 6 days older than you. That came in handy when I was 16...but now it just makes me older. Some people have already shared their fun memories, but I want to take a minute to share mine. Like you, my thoughts went first to our escapades with the bright blue paint! I couldn't figure out why your mom was so annoyed when we painted that bike (tires and all)blue (I think I have a little bit better understanding now)...thank goodness it came off. We have lots of good memories of sailing down "the hill" on that bike. Speaking of the hill...remember you taught me to "ski." You taught me lots of things, like piano (to bad I learned to read numbers =) I was so sad when you moved to Germany. I always loved getting your letters. I especially remember you sending me a piece of the Berlin Wall.
Our HS years were...interesting. We had good times in "Little Shop" and all the other drama stuff. Do you remember our joint 16th Birthday? I remember Heather Rogers gave you Alice in Chains and me The Secret Garden Soundtrack...doesn't that just put it all in a nutshell. (I also remember the trauma of scraping your friend Ryan's car when I pulled out so I could go pick up Mollie at "the bump"...why the heck did I drive to your house in the first place!?)
We have lots of memories together, Carolyn! You're one of my oldest friends. We haven't always seen eye to eye on everything. I can say now, though, that I admire your passion. It comes through in everything you do. You have a zest for life and have really applied it to your life as a wife and mother. Your kids are lucky to have you...and we're lucky to know you. Happy Birthday!

11 comments:

Carolyn said...

Kelly, you said, "You're one of my oldest friends."

Yes, but you're still older! HAHAHA!

Next year I will be teasing you relentlessly for 6 days. And Dave for 10 (for those that don't know, my hubby is a whole 10 days older than me).

Thanks for the well wishes. You made me smile and laugh!

CBlount said...

Happy Birthday Carolyn! I remember how exciting it was when you came back from Germany. I can see you, Kelly, and I in our room listening to you tell us all about living there. We thought you were so cool for being so traveled and experiencing so many things. We were so happy you were back! It was fun growing up with you! It's been great seeing you here and there since you're in Olympia. For those of you who don't know, here is an interesting thing about Carolyn: She gave birth to her first daughter in the house we are living in now! Happy Bday!

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, you are awesome! I wish I could be more of an earth mamma like you! My memories of you include you beautiful voice, your natural style, and your fearless personality. What other people thought never bothered you, you just did what you believed in! We love you! Happy birthday! (Kelly, why the heck would I ask you to meet me up at the bump? What is it...like three houses from Carolyn's? Sorry! ;) )

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday, Carolyn! I've got a hilarious video of you in the upper commons that we took for my broadcast journalism class. i'll have to figure out how to get it on here...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Carolyn! I have to echo what Angela said about the Veggie burger, and I'll have you know I tried one today in your honor. Can't say it'll be on my regular menu list, but I ate it. I do remember I liked your style and independence. It sounds like you've been a great influence to all of your friends. Enjoy 29! You can still say you're twenty something.

Keri_B said...

Happy Birthday woman! I have fond memories of our Mormon American Travel Studies tour together...remember the fortune teller lady in Philly?? You were a great roommate. Ha ha, good times!

sherrie said...

happy bday carolyn! i as many others remember you in your "no sitting on chairs" stage. those were the days huh? have a good one!

Carolyn said...

Thank you everyone for your well wishes and memories! I love you all! I had a great birthday.

jen bryner said...

carolyn, happy birthday (a little late!):) i have a TON of memories of us...i'm not sure i can even write them all down. actually, i think i have already done this somewhere back in the blog history, but it's fun to remember again in honor of your birthday! some that stick out: riding the city bus all day to go into downtown oly to look in record stores; ordering double-decker tacos with all beans (confusing the poor employees) so we could be vegetarians; getting ginormous glasses of mountain dew before all the church dances; listening to tori amos and others; singing together; a christmas carol; heck, i still have the song you wrote me!! but, the best memory is that you were always there for me, especially when i really needed someone. it didn't matter to you what anyone else thought or said. you were an answer to a prayer when things were really hard for me, so thank you! i love you, happy birthday!

Carolyn said...

Hey Jen-- dew me!

jen bryner said...

hahahahahahahaha :D:D:D nice.....