Apple Pie (9 inch)
Crust:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup plus 2 Tbls. Crisco Shortening
4 - 5 Tbls. ice cold water
Measure flour and salt into bowl, stir to mix. Cut in shortening thoroughly until pea size. Sprinkle in water, 1 Tbls. at a time, mixing until all flour is moistened and dough almost cleans side of bowl. (1 - 2 tsp. water can be added if needed.) Gather dough into ball; shape into two flattened rounds on lightly floured board. Roll each piece two inches larger than inverted pie pan. Ease bottom crust into pan.
Filling:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
dash salt
6 cups thinly sliced pared Golden Delicious apples (about six)
2 Tbls. butter or margarine
Stir together sugar, flour, spices and salt; mix with apples. Pour into pastry lined 9 inch pan; dot with butter. Cover with top crust, seal, flute and vent top crust. Cover edge with 2 - 3 inch strip aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil last 15 minutes of baking. Bake 40 - 50 minutes at 425 degrees, or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through vents on crust.
6 comments:
I just made apple pie last night and it is all gone. Okay, I hold this recipe dear but I will let it go. First, it's all about the crust and I use the No Fail crust.
Crust
2 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 C shortening (crisco butter flavor is best)
1 tsp. salt
3/4 C cold water
1/2 C flour
Put in 2 1/2 C flour, shortening, and salt, cut with your hands if you know how or use a pastry tool to make pea size pieces of crust. Add water, mix together, and then add 1/2 C flour. Mix well, seperate into two pieces and roll out. You can roll, re-roll, and re-shape this crust and it will still come out amazing.
Pie filling
I use sweet apples, not sour ones, so your choice, fuji, braeburn, jonathan, whatever you like.
5-7 apples sliced fairly thin (try to stay uniform)
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 cube butter
1 C sugar
Put your sliced apples in, pour on sugar, cinnamon, and cut up your butter and put pieces all over.
Cover with other crust, cut cute shapes, and then sprinkle with a little cinnamon and sugar on top.
Cook for 15 min on 425, and then lower heat to 350 for 55 minutes. About twenty minutes before it's done, sometimes if you use cheap butter you'll need to take the pie out about twenty minutes early and carefully pour out the water that is in it. Doesn't hurt it at all. Good luck.
I love peach pie. I think my siter has a good recipe. I have a good blackberry if you are interested!! Anothe day!! Gotta get the kids to bed!! Yes, My time!!
I do ok at makin pies, but I am very lucky because my hubby is an Excellent pie maker! It makes my life a whole lot easier, because he's willing to make them! :)
I'm looking to find a good sweet potato pie recipe, since Dave is allergic to pumpkin that is our substitue. I haven't found an easy yet delicious pie yet.
lu - thanks for the crust recipe! i usually have to double mine to get the results i want...
autie - ooh i am actually looking for a peach pie recipe. so if you can get it to me, that would be great! hope you got "you" time last night!
elizabeth - lucky girl.
carolyn - check foodnetwork.com. i saw that someone made an awesome sweet potato pie on the national pie championships for this year, and they may have the recipe. good luck!
just made pumpkin last night yummy!
Post a Comment