Thursday, July 13, 2006

Has it already been 10 years??

For most of us, it has been at or around 10 years since we graduated high school. I've been thinking lately about what I pictured for myself, ten years down the road, when I was 18. I came up with a list of things I expected and got (or didn't get) in the last ten years, and things I didn't expect, and got. Here goes:

1. I expected to be married (to an older guy) when I was 21, and to have all of my kids by 10 years out. I actually got married at 25 (to a younger guy), have two kids, and hope to have one or two more.

2. I expected to graduate from BYU with a Bachelor's in journalism by age 22. I actually did graduate from BYU, only it was a Bachelor's of General Studies, and I was 27.

3. I didn't expect to serve a mission, but I did. When I knew I was going to go, I expected to go to French-speaking (I was a French minor), but I didn't. I was sent to Uruguay.

4. I didn't expect to have 50 pounds to lose ten years out, but I do (thanks, babies!).

5. I didn't expect to live in Kansas, EVER, but I do.

6. I expected to own a house by now, and for my husband to be well into his career. Actually, we are still renting and my husband has two or three more years (that's what happens when you marry a younger guy - love you, honey!).

7. I didn't expect to be in contact with so many of you after so long. Actually, blogs were invented and so here we are. Awesome!

Now it's your turn - what about your expectations? I'd love to hear what yours were & how or if they were fulfilled.

6 comments:

sherrie said...

oh the wonder of an 18 year old's imagination...you watch the movies and see the perfect people who do everything so great and then plan your life out accordingly. however more often than not it doesn't work out the way you so fantasied about. i am living proof of that. let me tell you why
1.i expected to be married at least by 24 (i wasn't too eager to take the leap...i preferred dating) however i didn't marry until i was 27 (but i must say he was worth the wait)
2. i wanted to graduate from college in the usual time frame but ended up taking a 3 year break and finally graduated with a bachelors of art in graphic design which is the field i always knew i'd be in.
3. i never anticipated serving a mission but wish now that i had.
4. i definately expected to have at least 3 kids by now but thanks to the fertility gods i am still working on that one.
5. i saw myself in a beautiful big home somewhere in suburbia, however i live in sactown in an apartment.
6. and honestly i did hope to keep in touch with my close friends, but i am amazed that this is actually happening.

enickel said...

Well, the dreams I had during my t-line days have been pretty much come about. I didn't have much time to ponder and wonder since I found Marshall so early in my life.
1. I expected to be married with several children...that happened and now the kids are taking over!
2. I really didn't have high hopes with my education, but am upset that I didn't finish up when I was younger. I will go back and finish in about 8-10 years. That is depressing! I will be one of the old ladies we all had in our college classes!
3. I pictured Marshall and I in a big house somewhere letting the kids out to play in our huge backyard. Instead Marshall took a leap and started over with his education so we are back to square one living in a 3 bedroom house with soon to be 5 kids! It is too rainy here most days to even let them go out to play. Things will change in that area!
4. I thought we would be living somewhere exciting and new, we did that for a while, but somehow ended up back in Washington. That will change in the next two years if I have anything to do with it.
5. I really thought Heather and I would live near each other so the tons of kids we have could play with each other everyday. We now live on opposite sides of the country.
6. Most of all I thought I would be active in the church, happy, and still in love with my husband. All of the really important things came true. The bonus is that my kids are adorable, I wouldn't be having so many if they weren't!

Mollie said...

Alright, here goes...
1.College Degree...I never really wanted one, but I did want to be educated in the areas of my personal interest. So I took a few Horticulture classes at a community college and ended up in a horticulture program that I loved and it only took a year. Wahoo! Cost: $2,500
2.Dream Wedding...At age 18 I knew I was going to marry Danny Devine at age 22. He would be a return missionary by then and my life would begin..Ha!Ha!Ha! Well, it turned out the man of my dreams was inactive from the church from age 18 to 26 and was not an RM. I met him when he was 27 and I was 20 and we were married in the temple about one year later.
Cost: about $10,000.
3. Children...At age 18 I knew I was going to be the mother of sons. Well, I now have two darling daughters that have more personality than I thought possible in such tiny frames.
Cost(hospital stay and epideral of course!): about $4,000
4. The house...I swore I would never live in a house being remodeled. Well, I did that. And though it nearly sent me to the nut house, it's finally done. The house is beautiful and now we ready to build one from scratch.
Cost: $207,000 for the house +$50,000 in remodeling.
5. Growing up...Finally!...I've really learned in the last 10 years that it is not our own plans we are here to live. It is our Father in Heaven's. Cost: Priceless

Autumn said...

Hey ladies love your blogs. Just got back from vacation!!
Let's see I always wanted to go to college, get married, and have some kids. Well, I did that but expected to have some girls not happening yet! We will see. We might try one more time. I never thought I'd marry a school teacher but I did and we are livin on love. I never thought my parents would get divorced when I turned 29 but surprise!! It is weird visiting my dad single and dating. Weird!! A testimony challenger. I thought I would be a great mother but some days I ask God why did you send me Brenden I am really not the mother for him ,but maybe time will tell a different story. Some days I just want to scream!!He is full of trouble. He reminds me of Michelle, I remember the stories of you when you were little. Help!! For the most part I have a good life and am happy because I live the gospel. It is so great when I get to see you all come home once in awhile. That is always what I ever wanted when I was growing up is to settle down and make some roots and belong somewhere. You all have made me feel like this is home especially now being married to one of the McClellan's. It is like seeing family members you've loved so much. Thanks Guys!!

Angela said...

Mollie~ your post was so cute! Loved it! The whole Mastercard commercial thing~ "priceless." How cute are you!

Autumn (and Chanda)~ How sad!!! I am so sorry to hear about your parents, I had no idea! That is so sad! My husband's parents just got divorced after 30 years of marriage. What is up with that??

Angela said...

Mollie~ your post was so cute! Loved it! The whole Mastercard commercial thing~ "priceless." How cute are you!

Autumn (and Chanda)~ How sad!!! I am so sorry to hear about your parents, I had no idea! That is so sad! My husband's parents just got divorced after 30 years of marriage. What is up with that??