Since reading Evelyn's post and thinking about Michelle's quest, I thought I'd share what I know about insulin, and it may help with both situations.
Insulin is a growth hormone that is secreted by your pancreas. (Mine is broken). Everything you eat has a carb count and depending on how complex your carbs are affects how quickly it turns into sugar, candy bar FAST, whole grains, slower. The more fast carbs we eat, the faster it is burned, the more we crave. Just to give you an idea, when my blood sugar is at a "low" if I drink 80z of juice, it completely returns to normal within 2-5 minutes of consumption. If my sugar is already normal and I drink juice, than I am in trouble.
So the carbs we eat turn to sugar in the blood stream, insulin attaches to that sugar and delivers it to our muscles and brain for energy. When we eat too much sugar/carbs, a lot of insulin is released, a lot of sugar is delivered, we are pepped, we burn quickly, sometimes over-burn, realize our body is now empty of sugar again, and our muscles are now tired, and we want more. It's a bad cycle. We want slow release proteins. It's all common sense, just thought I'd share the science behind it.
Also, exercise increases the strength of these little insuli, so that less insulin is needed for the same job, which means less growth hormone.
So that's your science lesson for the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
fascinating! i had no idea that's how it all worked. i think it's really motivating when you can picture internally what effects food and exercise have on the body. i'll think twice about eating sugar!
ok i'm so not a science oriented person - so thanks for teaching us in layman terms. that is interesting - and i just got through eating like three chocolate chip cookies....oops ;)
Very cool! I am going to eat more protein! Thanks!
Post a Comment