Monday, February 26, 2007

Week #4

Thanks again for all of your tips and recipes, and for those of you reporting in with me! You guys are awesome...

We found out today that we will be moving to Columbus, Ohio in August for Peter's internship year! We are thrilled.

That said, this last week was a little nervewracking as I was trying to keep my brain off of the anticipation of finding out where we matched. The lucky thing was that the nerves gave me butterflies in my stomach, so I didn't feel like overeating! I had my first encounter with staying in someone else's house since changing my eating habits this weekend when we visited family in Iowa. What saved me was bringing my Kashi with me and choosing healthier road trip options, like Fiber One granola bars, chopped veggies and those 100 calorie packs of sweets. Usually a road trip is my excuse for junk food binging, so it felt great to not give in!

Pounds lost: 2.5
Pounds to go: 44

Confessions: I pretty much summed up my food challenges above. I missed one day of cardio, but I still got four days of exercise in. What killed me was the "thighs" workout - ugh! I don't know if I need to wait until I lose more or what, but my knees were really hurting as I was doing those million squats and after. I know I had the right form, but maybe I should just cut back on reps? Any suggestions?

What worked for me: This was a fun recipe I tried out of "Good For You" by Gooseberry Patch. Again, very fun for the kiddos and tastes good, too.

Pull-Apart Pizza

2 cans of reduced-fat Pillsbury Grands buttermilk biscuits
2 T. olive oil
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 c. each red and green peppers, diced
1 c. mushrooms, sliced
1 c. turkey pepperoni (optional)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1-2 T. Italian seasoning
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 c. part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put the biscuits on a pizza stone or a baking sheet. Arrange next to each other, pressing together. Brush the top of the biscuits with olive oil. Top with the vegetables and the seasoning. Sprinkle with cheese and place in the oven for 14 to 17 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown. Put it in the center of your table on hot pads; give everyone a plate and just pull off the pieces. Very fun - just watch so the kids don't burn themselves on the pan!

Have a great week, girls!

18 comments:

Michelle said...

p.s. for those of you who are not able to post anymore on this blog, please let me know your email address and I will send you an invitation! i just sent one to you, kelly.

sherrie said...

that pizza sounds good. i'm not a professional or anything - but i would suggest doing less reps until you can work your way up to doing more comfortably. that's what i always do when i do my lunges.

Anonymous said...

Mickey,

So this week I wasn't as inspired, but I guess I still did alright as I stuck with my new whole foods and a majority organic, I just had a lot more organic yogurt covered raisins than I needed, but for some reason my appetite is growing. Anyway this is how it went:

4 days of hard work-out, I do about 300 crunches for my abs, and 45 minutes on the rest of my body. I was going to work out a 5th night but decided to take in a movie with my hubby.

I lost 2 pounds! So I'm at a solid 5 pound loss for 3 weeks. I've got 5 more to goal for my goal, and 10 more for my super-goal!

I found Kashi makes frozen entree's and I love the Lemongrass chicken one, but am not a real frozen fan. I need to reasses my motivation as I was getting bored of going to the gym again. So give me a pep talk anyone.

Good job Michelle, car trips are hard, I'm proud of you.

christine said...

Michelle--I agree with Sherrie, less reps. Your body is trying to tell you something with the pain. I would also REALLY REALLY recommend yoga as an alternate form of exercise. (You may start getting bored with your usual set of dvd's you're doing) Yoga is a lot easier on the joints and its something different you could switch off with your usual exercise series you do. You'll start loosing inches like crazy because its a lot of muscle strengthening with holding the positions. They say stress can make you gain weight--well yoga helps with this as well as making you more centered. I've done yoga for just over a year now and its literally completely changed my life--it strips away all the chaos, balances your entire system (which helps with the weight too) is incredibly challenging physically and heals emotionally and spiritually too. I would recommend checking out http://www.gaiam.com/ and they've got really good beginning yoga dvd's. I have done the weight loss conditioning dvd's they have (by Susanne Deason?)and the Total Body workout by Rodney Yee. These are very good investments. Sorry--not trying to be a salesman now :0)

Well done on the road trip--I would have found that hard!

P.S. My e-mail address is christine_jolley@hotmail.com for the blog invitation.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a good idea Christine. I have a bunch of tae-bo video's that I was bored with, and the gym is getting a little has been, although last night I put on two wrist weights on each arm and challenged myself to do all of the same work in a shorter time span. My mom has some yoga and pilates videos I'll have to try out. Has anyone diagnosed me yet? :)
I really want to run/jog but I'm a cold wuss and the chill is back, I'll have to wait.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mickey, my sister in law lived in Buckeye state while her husband finished optometry school. You are so lucky, she loved it, and said they have the best bargain stores there. We used to send her money and sizes and she'd hit the REAL Eddie Bauer outlets, where you'd get things for dirt cheap.

And yes, this is my third comment on this post.

About the reps, when we're heavier than we'd like to be, or within a good range for our age and height, then there is extra strain on our joints already. I'd be careful about squats, I only do about 20 cuz all my sisters have bad knees. Good luck.

jen bryner said...

i know i haven't said anything before about this weight challenge thing but....my husband just had his year checkup after his spinal surgery and while everything looked fantastic, the doc told him to lose 10 pounds and maintain it. i need to lose about that much too but i have been at this weight FOREVER no matter what i do. so i'm going to really buckle down and try harder so we can do it together. being that it's a lot warmer down here now, it's easy to feel like eating more fruits and veggies, which i'm doing. i've also started jogging with my sister, so now we alternate jogging and the 'core secrets' workout (using a ball with weights). we JUST started so i haven't seen any results yet but it feels really good to be out there jogging. i don't think i'll watch the scale much for a while but if i start to see results in how my clothes are fitting, i'll speak up! good luck to everyone else though:) it's worth it to keep ourselves healthy so we can be around longer for our kids! and to keep up with them:D

Angela said...

Okay, my good news... I lost my Valentine pound and a half!! Yippee!! I can't remember anything bad I ate, but that doesn't mean I didn't eat anything bad. Here's my question... having four daughters, my biggest concern right now is how to not make them question their own weight. I am really worried that my focus is making them aware of something that don't need to be aware of for a really long time! They make little comments here and there like "wow my tummy looks fat," right after dinner. Or "look how skinny I am." I am probably over-reacting but I just want to make sure they aren't affected by me wanting to workout and such. Any advice??

christine said...

Angela, I agree with Heather--get them excited about exercise but just be positive about any comments you say in relation to body image. Tough gig though--young girls get a lot of pressure even at a young age.

Chanda said...

Angela-I am in no way an expert on this subject but I do know that I almost always am focused on the health side of what I eat and with exercise. I talk to my kids about what is healthy food and why it is good for our bodies and what is junk food and why it is not good for our bodies. Same with exercise. I talk to them about how it helps our bodies be strong and healthy and makes us feel better. Maybe if you make sure your focus is more health related you will stop focusing on body image as much and your girls will pick up on that and learn good healthy habits from a young age. Thinking about my health and what certain foods do to my body good or bad is the only thing that helps me eat healthier.

christine said...

Kelly---unfortunately most yoga sessions and classes at gyms are an hour plus. However, it is possible to find short sessions you just have to look around. For example, the vinyasa flow dvd I have has a short session for 40 minutes (its intermediate level though). You can always do half a session from a dvd--when my boyfriend James does yoga with me he only does the first part maybe 25-30 minutes--he still notices amazing benefits though. Also, once you learn some of the main sequences you can try to tailor it to what your time constraints will allow. I must warn you though that you may find it difficult to stop after 30/45 minutes once you get into yoga more because its pretty darn addictive. Anwyay--Hope this helps. :0)

Jenny G. said...

Kelly, I have some yoga workouts from a collection called "Yoga Zone." I actually found it on ebay for an amazing deal and there were 5 dvd's with each dvd having 2 15 minute workouts so you can kindof pick how long you want to workout. They are beginner with some intermediate but I cannot believe how they have strengthend my endurance and lung capacity. I don't know if that is what you are looking for. They were also just a really good introduction to yoga.

Michelle said...

AWESOME advice, gals. i will definitely be checking into those 15 minute yoga workouts, jenny - thanks to you and christine for the recommendations! great job, all of you, on your successes this last week. having you girls around is very motivational!

Joy said...

Anyone try pilates? I have always wanted to try that and yoga. Anyone?

Jenny G. said...

Pilates is so great, especially on your core area and legs and thighs!!

christine said...

Pilates steals a lot of positions from yoga, but there's no meditation in pilates. (Its less about the mind, body, spirit connection and more about the physical.) Its true what Jenny says though--really strengthens core muscles and lengthens your muscles as well.

jen bryner said...

ok, in the opinion of all of you who have done yoga or are doing it....would it be a good workout idea to alternate days of yoga and jogging? i just threw my back out (although i'm still not sure how) doing my regular workout on the ball so i'm probably going to need something else. my stomach is where i need the most strengthening. anyway, what do you think?

christine said...

Jen--I would alternate yoga and jogging. That's what I do--I do 2-3 days of yoga, and the rest of the time I do gym stuff (weights/cardio/pilates or some other class) or go running through the park or a really long walk or something else active.

Heather--depends on what type of yoga and how long you do it which affects how much burn you'll get. Some classes can be just meditation and really easy and others are really darn hard doing things like headstands or balancing your entire body weight in positions which require incredible amounts of strength and flexibility.

Yoga may not work for everyone, but the only reason why I mentioned it intially was cause it works for me and its really helped me on the inside and out (even though I only do it twice a week). The more and more you do it the more differences you'll notice. Its darn popular nowdays not just because some celebrities do it (Sting, madonna,etc) but because its helps alot with the physical, mental and spiritual. If you have 10 minutes or an hour and a half for your exercise sessions, it will help your body get back in balance, get stronger and help you get 'centered'.

Sorry I'm posting so much on this--just trying to help. Weight loss, yoga and exercise has always been the bain of my existence for a long time (still is--down 40 but have another 40 to go). I feel like if I can share any of my experiences and knowledge (I'm no expert) it may make some of your 'quests' a bit easier and less painful than it has been for me. I'll shut up now I promise :0)