Monday, February 12, 2007

Week #2

I just wanted to say thanks again for the outpouring of support and tips from you ladies on my last post! You are all amazing and I'm lucky to count you as my friends.

So, the scale went up on me this week. I've done this enough times to know that you can't count on the scale, and that hopefully it is the increase of muscle mass that has brought it up (as g.g. said). I have noticed that my favorite pair of Gap curvy jeans are fitting a little nicer! On the flipside, yesterday a woman at church patted my tummy and said, "Oh, you're growing there! Is there something you need to announce?" Aaaaah! That has never happened to me before, and I hope to never hear those words again, unless I'm really pregnant! It doesn't help that I was wearing a jumper, I guess. Anyway, here are the deets:

Pounds gained: 1.5
Pounds to go: 49.5

Food confessions: Stayed on plan this week, however, I probably could've swapped that piece of Cheesecake Factory cheesecake I shared with hubby on date night for a bowl of low-fat ice cream. I also have to start giving away the remnants of the family night treat...too tempting! I stuck with the cardio part of my workout schedule, but ditched the strength training. Gotta get that back in.

What worked for me: I really loved this recipe I found on the Weight Watchers' website. It was easy to make and you can swap out the ingredients for anything you have on hand. Serves 6, and it's 5 points per slice so that translates to about 250 calories. Yumm-o!

Spinach, Bacon and Cheese Frittata

2 tsp olive oil, or vegetable oil
4 slice uncooked turkey bacon, diced
1/2 cup onion(s), diced
2 cup spinach, fresh, or frozen and thawed
8 slice light whole wheat bread, cubed
1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, about 4 oz
4 large egg(s)
5 large egg white(s)
3/4 cup fat-free skim milk
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add onion and spinach; sauté until onions are soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in bread; sprinkle cheddar cheese over top.

Preheat broiler.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture in skillet and set pan over medium-high heat. Cook until almost cooked through to the top, shaking pan frequently to promote even cooking, about 5 to 7 minutes.

Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top of frittata. Place pan under broiler and broil until top is golden brown and frittata is cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.

*If you don’t have an oven-proof skillet, cover the handle with aluminum foil before broiling.


Good luck this week, ladies! Keep us updated on what's working for you!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michelle, name and address of the lady from church please. EVERYONE knows, you never ask that, EVER!! I have a few things I would like to ask her.

christine said...

I had someone ask if I was expecting once as well--except for me I was in Rome with James and it was a really good looking Italian guy. Doesn't feel good at all.

Don't worry about the weight gain--weight fluctates a lot--Go by how your clothes fit. Don't beat yourself up if you have a down week or down day.

You can have nice things (occasionally) like cheesecake--but what James and I do is always share any type of dessert. This means you can still occasionally indulge but you cut down on the calories.

My tips on reading food labels:

1) take into consideration the serving size--it can be misleading!
---
TOTAL Daily Allowances PER DAY:

20g Saturated Fat
6g Salt
40-50g Sugar

Per dish: You should aim for 30% or lower on calories from fat. 10% or less of this should be saturated fat. Anything higher you put your heart at risk.

2) Watch out for hidden salt and sugar in food. You'd be surprised what they put sugar in. Watch out for bread--A lot of hidden sugar and watch out for breakfast cereals a HECK of A LOT of added salt and sugar.

3) Anything that says "Fortified" means it wasn't there before and they added it after the fact. I would avoid it because if nature didn't mean to have it in there the first place it shouldn't be in there.

4) Anytime you read a label and don't know what an ingredient is or can't even pronounce it don't buy it.

Good Luck Michelle this week!

enickel said...

I have been pretty good with working out and not eating late the last 4-5 days. I am waiting to weigh myself in a couple more days. I don't have a scale in the house so that helps with my sanity. I hope this will continue! Thanks for all of the group support.

enickel said...

How bad did that lady feel when you told her? I would have loved to see her face and hopefully she won't do that to anyone ever again!

LucindaF said...

Horrid, I had someone look at a picture of me and ask if I was pregnant at the time, I wasn't. I'm glad you're not wrecked by pounds, your body goes into water retention mode when you start working out. If you drink water consistently for a month it will let it go, it can't count for 2-3 pounds. Also, I get measured everywhere because it makes me feel better to lose an inch than a pound. Twice while in surgery the doctors have told me I had no fat on my stomach, good thing they weren't cutting into my thighs.

How I did this week, I lost 1.5 pounds and a number of inches. I worked out 4 times this week and haven't eaten anything unnatural and have felt excellent, except for Sunday after church but it had been a long week, so who knows. I plan to continue with whole and natural foods and want to excercise 4 to 5 times this week. I've almost completely got my six-pack back. Yahoo!

P.S. Mickey, don't always go for low-fat, if they take something out, they've got to put something else in that might not be better for you.

LucindaF said...

Meant to say it CAN count for 2-3 pounds. Also put a little lemon in your water it helps the retention.

sherrie said...

yeah it's always amazed me how stupid people can be about asking very personal questions like that when it's none of their business anyway. they just have no shame....sad.

keep up the good work, i know you can do it michelle.

Angela said...

Good job everyone!! As for me, food confessions- I was bad this week, I had a piece of Chocolate Cake with some ice cream, a handful of skittles and a handful of M&M's. (If I don't let myself have anything, I will not make it because I will breakdown and eat everything!!) However, my exercising went really good this week! I have been working out for 6 months (minus December) and I have only lost 5 pounds the whole time! I have lost tons of inches though because they measure you every month at Curves. Anyway, the great news this week, I lost 3 pounds! It isn't much but I was excited!!

Angela said...

Lucinda, my Mom has chemical sensitivies to food and more. Whenever she goes to church, the temple, etc. She always feels yucky because she has to be around perfumes and stuff. Also, if they redo the carpets or paint a building, she has to go to another ward for like 6 months. It may be something like that. Also, how awesome for you with the six-pack! That gives me hope!! :)

Autumn said...

Michelle, that same thing happened to me last summer. Except it was a man and he blurted out in the whole hall CONGRATULATIONS!! I said on what. He said, Aren't you expecting? I about died. I must have been very bloated because I was not even wearing a dress that could possibly be considred a pregnancy outfit. I got over it. Some people just have no tact. Good job on the hard work. It is never easy but when you get up every morning tell yorself "I will have a good day today and I am thin and fabulous and I love myself." I've been reading "The Secret" It is all about positive thinking and visualization. Basically the law of attraction and how we can attract good things to ourselves by our thinking. Always worth a try!!

Michelle said...

mol - luckily i love this lady, she is just short on tact! but thanks for being my protector :)

christine - some great advice! especially the total daily allowances. i had forgotten what they were.

enick - congrats on your success! i have a hard time not having a "little something" around 9:00. i've heard so many times to not eat after dinner (mostly from oprah's people) and i'll have to try it sometime. maybe when i hit a plateau.

lu - sweet! you are kickin' butt! great advice on water retention and low-fat stuff. i hope to someday convert myself to whole foods/organic stuff, but i'm weaning myself slowly :)

sher - thanks for the encouragement!!

angela - way to go! i'm with you, if i totally deprive myself, it's an ugly scene later.

autie - sounds like a great book! it's so true, the power of positive thinking is unbelievable.

g.g. - great advice - i have taken your idea of little dark chocolates and having one or two when it is a crucial moment. yum! good luck with teaching...sounds like a great deal.