Samantha, who will be 2 in a month, has never been a good sleeper. I can probably count the times she has slept through the night! The past few nights have been worse. She will only sleep if she is in our bed and thats just not an option for us. Charles and I don't sleep if she is in bed with us. Plus with the baby coming in a few months...she just needs to learn how to sleep on her own!
So what do I do? Do I just let her cry? We've tried this several times and after two hours of her screaming...I just can't take it anymore! Should I just suffer through it? If I bring her out into the living room she runs into my bedroom and crawls in bed. She isn't sick, she has her blanket and still uses a pacifier. She is still in a crib (thats a whole different story!). She just wants to be held and awake!
Any advice is welcome! Thanks!!
Sunday, November 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Klare is exactly the same way! But for the last month has done a pretty good job of sleeping, through the night in her own bed. Here is what has worked:
Climb in the crib and lay down with her until she falls asleep.(this is how I started with Klare and it still took a while, but now I climb in, snuggle her until she is lightly asleep, crawl out, and she sleeps through the night.)
I also tried waiting until she was really tired laying her down with a sippy of water and saying that I would be right back, (which I would be in the morning) which she bought.
I also tried giving her a flashlight, which she would play with until she fell asleep. Then I would sneak in and take it away. Good Luck!
Wow...how do you actually climb into the crib? I'm impressed! Thanks for the tips!
Yah, a lot of times when I am nursing Rach she ends up sleepin in our bed...and lately Ethan has been coming in there in the middle of the night, wanting to sleep in our bed too! It breaks your heart to hear them cry huh? But I guess sometimes you just have to do that...
First of all - Mollie how did you even fit in a crib? I think ours would have broken!
Evelyn...there is a book I love. Maybe you have read it but if you haven't I would totally recomend it. Baby Wise by Gary Ezzo M.A and Rober Bucknam, M.D. Let me just say that I didn't read this book before Anne and she was very similar to your Klare. Well someone finally told me about this book so when I was pregant with Andrew I devoured it. Can I just say I have two totally different kids! Anyway - they also have a second book for the pretoddler that might help more with Klare - but according to the book it is never too late to start their ideas. We did it with Anne and Zac and I spent about two weeks holding the other back when she would be crying and crying...I am sure our neighbors thought really bad things were going on but finally it worked and now she is a wonderful sleeper - anyway try it - couldn't hurt.
No advice from me... we have both our kids in our bed (but we did that on purpose).
my method is the same as georgia girl! and joy, i don't know what the method is in the book but i bet it is similar. i agree, don't give in and let her sleep in your bed if that's really not what you want!!! if bekah comes in our room, she can sleep on the floor, but now that she is getting to be almost 5 that practically never happens anymore. it only took a few nights to get her in the habit of sleeping through the night as a baby and she became the best sleeper from then on. whatever you decide, stick to it. kids know exactly how to get what they want and you'll go crazy by the end of it!!!! let us know how it works out:)
The trick is like heather said, don't pick them up. I can't stand the thought that they feel abandoned, so I like Heather would go in and try to lay them back down without picking them up. Rub their back, let them know you're there. With your new baby start very early, when you're nursing, don't let them fall asleep nursing if you can help it, keep them awake for about ten minutes afterward and then lay them down. If they fall asleep in your arms it will be a shock when they wake up not in your arms. I tried to do that a lot, but also am a softy and sometimes just wanted to be close to my babies. Everyone is right, all children are different. I had a friend that would let them cry an extra two minutes every night until they stopped. Good luck
All my kids did this same scenario. I loved to hold them when they were babies. They are so snuggly when they are sleeping. But it does cause problems when it is time to be out of your bed. How old is she? I laid with mine. Then sat with mine. then moved to the end of the bed...then the doorway...then outside the door. If they cry go in say I 'll be back to check on you in a minute. Come back in a minute and praise for laying in own bed. Give kiss and say I 'll be back in a min. Eventually the min get longer and longer until they do not need you anymore. Major praise in the morning for sleeping through the night. All kids are different. This worked for my last one. The other 2 share a bed and that works for them.
I could never do the cry it out method. My kids were to stubborn and my husband would always cave before me. They do not completely comprehend how no sleep tears you apart.
Post a Comment