Saturday, April 14, 2007
Oh the weather outside is frightful....
hello everyone! just a quick check into how everyone is fairing in this weird bout of 'winter-ish' weather?!? here in texas we've had some nasty storms...lots of damage (if you can find footage of the dallas storm from 04/13/07, check it out!)...but we were definitely watched over, as the storms fell apart when they got to our town. now we're just chilly! we even had SNOW the day before easter!! then 3 days later it was 80 again. if you're doing okay in your part of the country let us know, and if the weather is headed toward you, let us know you're alright when it's gone! take precautions, please!!! love you all--
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
34 comments:
It can snow in Texas? This global warming thing is doing crazy things. I read this saying somewhere. It goes "With all this global warming I just wish I looked better in my swimsuit!"
I totally agree this is due to Global Warming.
Yes, it is global warming...ha ha ha, thank you all, cha-ching-cha-ching-cha-ching! That's the sounds of my fat cat wallet getting bigger as I waste all of your hard earned dollars on yet another scare tactic. Hip-hip hooray for unfounded fears and warped statistics! You can pay a doctor or specialist to say anything, I love America!
It's not global warming, it is the second coming! A sign of the times ladies! We have had crazy weather here, too. One week in the 80s, the next week in the 30s and 40s. It is making us all sick! And killing my plants, too!
You you all want consistancy come to Hawaii! Always sunny, always hot! I don't know what is causing the weather to be crazy but I wish some of it would come out our way -I am sick of the heat!
Politics aside people (and whether you like Al Gore or not) Global Warming is something that shouldn't be ignored just because you believe it 'may' be scaremongering. Personally instead of debating whether it actually exists or not I'd rather do everything I can to make the world a better place in this respect in the mean time. I don't want to have someone a few years down the line say I told you so and you could have possibly stopped any of this.
As far as this being the signs of the times my belief on the whole thing is that any calamity preceeding the second coming would very likely be a result of our own doings. God wouldn't be doing a thing-we'd destroy ourselves (environment and wars) and then when we see God again he'll end up having to fix us completely screwing up our planet.
Ignorance does not change this world and I think that its at least important to open your minds and look at all possibilities. We owe it to our children to not discount anything (even if it does turn out to not be true in the end!).
I agree with the Al Gore entry. You don't have to dislike him to know he's a fraud. It's a well documented fact! It's just sad (and funny) to watch.
Onto the more important issue....Global Warming....I'm not the kind who is going to panic and freak out because some people have a much debated theory that may or may not be true. I will, however, live the best that I can so that I am doing my part. I am conscious about energy conservation and doing the right thing when it comes to the environment. But I have soon to be six children and I drive a Suburban and love it! I don't feel any sort of guilt for the car I drive. We don't need to fear global warming, but we should be living in harmony and with respect to those around us. Which means doing our part for the environment.
We as humans do bring a lot of pollution to the natural world, but some things are necessary and that's not a sin. There are a lot more people in the world today than there have ever been. It is natural progression. The world that I see is still beautiful and I love it and thank my Heavenly Father for it everyday.
Jen, my husband was in Crawford, TX with the president at the time that it snowed. He was freezing and not prepared for that. It's been exciting around here with lots of rain and strong winds. I can't wait for the warm weather to return.
By the way, all, this is the best post and comments I've seen in a while. I started reading y'all's comments and was loving it! You go girls!
What a great discussion. I wouldn’t listen to a thing Al Gore says as he lives in his huge estate and flies in his huge airplanes. I would however listen to my own conscience and treat this world as a gift. We do have such beautiful surroundings and I am so thankful for it.
I don't think opinions on whether Al Gore is an idiot matter or not. Personally, I would never vote for this chap but I think what he did with his documentary an Inconvenient Truth was excellent. In the end it got people thinking on a very important issue and deserved its Oscar win. In the end no matter what, people will consistently alter the facts on both sides to fit with their beliefs for whatever issue (environment, religion, etc). However--Its important to be well versed in each view and then make your own informed decision.
I am not freaking out either and do the best I can every day to contribute to a better world also. I love the outdoors incredibly as well. However-- I do wholeheartdly disagree though that pollution is ever necessary or could ever be a natural progression. Just because the world is becoming grossly over-populated does not mean that it gives us free reign to over-consume on a daily basis and waste the natural resources God has given us. I think its ludicrous to think that these will be around forever.
My opinion is that there is a balance that has to happen--not to be paranoid but not to be complacent either. I do think its important that we be responsible in our daily choices which include which car we drive, the food we eat (organic vs. non) and the interactions we have with others (positive vs. negative). Absolutely everything we give into this world comes back to us ten fold (including our care of the environement) and so that's why I think that its so important to be pro-active in our approach on things like this. The world is a gift that shouldn't be taken for granted.
This in mind--Free Agency is a great thing and people are free to make their own choices with this. Although I may disagree with your beliefs, I respect them. I also really enjoy reading and learning about different perspectives/opinions because it helps me learn both sides and in the end makes my own convictions and passions even stronger! :0)
6 billion people on this planet? That's too many, good thing I was born, but by darn don't let anyone else be or they might crowd me or use up MY trees, and MY fuel, and MY food. You see I came here before they did so I have right's over them, this world belongs to me.
i agree we need to be aware of the effects our actions take on the environment and do our part in making this a better world for generations to come. we can help in small ways - whether it's global warming or inevitable events leading up to the second coming, we can do positive things to make this a better place to be - here and now and for the future!
So, did the Lord make the world too small, since it is overpopulating???
I am on number six and feel the more the merrier. There are, and always will be the same amount of spirits who need to receive their bodies. The world isn't too small, and it isn't overpopulated. The Lord doesn't make mistakes.
The world isn't going to blow up or one day be too populated to handle itself. Before that ever happens He will be here. But this earth, like Erika said, is a gift for our use. He created the fossil fuels for us to use, just as he created cows and pigs for our consumption.
People are animals and sometimes barbaric, hence wars and contentions. I'm sure it will get worse, but the world isn't going to close in around us and suffocate us. It's not going to disappear before the Savior comes.
I guess my faith is a strong base for how I view this topic.
I put all my milk containers and plastics in my blue recycling bin. I don't litter. I think we need to be sensible, take care of what we have. I just disagree that we will run out, and you know what, necessity is the mother of invention. So oh well, run out of fossil fuels, then there won't be anymore excuses to slow the production of fuel free vehicles.
We are adaptive, everything changes. But I'm with the southern chic, if I didn't believe that God was Omniscient, I might be a little worried by the propoganda.
You have to be really really careful not to let 'faith' turn to complete and utter ignorance and naivety. God works with science and everything is part of a very delicate ecosystem. Everything has to be used sparingly and I don't think that wasting resources and destroying the planet is respectful to what God gave us or part of 'the plan'. If you say yes I love nature but then turn around and over-consume what does that say about your true convictions? Actions speak louder than words and god expects us to do our part in our lives and in our world. I think its scary to go on such blind faith thinking--right I can screw up the planet and 'God' will save us all. Its like I said before I think he will end up coming and fixing all the mess we created for ourselves!
I think my mention of over-population has been taken too personal and out of context. If you read throughout any major newpapers in the world--I am not the only one saying the same thing. No God doesn't make mistakes but still it is very obvious that the sheer amount of people is putting a strain on what is out there. (**I am curious where have you read that there is enough resources now to sustain the planet in future at the current rate of consumption??)
Again--I think it is really important to not be too blinded by 'faith'. Yes God wants us to have faith but again there's a balance and we have to be in reality as well and if your so far off from what is going on--I think this is what actually will truly hinder your spiritual progression.
On another note--Whomever is doing these sarcastic comments it would be great if you could actually use your real name instead of hiding behind some stupid name. If you have something to say say it and don't be afraid to speak!
Anyway----I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one and leave it soon before this ends up to cause potential bad feelings or a potential "gang up on Christine" session. We need to be free to speak our minds but if it starts getting out of hand we should really stop.
I don't think anyone here has said that we should abuse the world. I respect everyone's opinion and enjoy debate. Global warming is hotly contested through-out this world and so I would expect it's a hot button for all of us. But isn't that okay? My husband and I may agree on a subject, but for the sake of looking at all sides, we will take an opposite view and have a lovely debate.
Faith, that is a great subject, there is such thing as blind faith, and then there are times when after having such an intimate relationship with someone, you begin to trust them, and realize that no matter what happens, he is in control and for good or for ill all things will work out for our benefit and learning.
I have to say a few things.
First, I love you Christine! Please don't take this personally.
Second, "If you say yes I love nature but then turn around and over-consume what does that say about your true convictions? Actions speak louder than words" This is exactly why I can't stand Al Gore. It is just like the Rosie O'Donnell gun thing. She is so anti and yet, I'm sure all her bodyguards have guns to protect her. That bugs me!
Third, Why should I believe what the newspapers say, when they are so onesided? Or what I learned in school, for that matter? This is a part of why I am homeschooling because I don't want my kids being taught something that I don't believe.
Fourth, I KNOW that God answers my prayers and if He tells me to have 25 children, then that is what I am going to do. I am always going to take His opinion over anyone on this earth.
I could never take this personally so don't worry. Yes its fine to disagree and have a debate too. I've always said from the beginning I respect others opinions. However, I just want to be careful it doesn't get out of hand and that this doesn't turn into something incredibly negative or something that causes bad feelings thats all.
Actions do speak volumes but I don't think anyone is perfect and they do the best they can. Not that I like Rosie or Al but I think they do the best they can to practice what they preach--just like I'm sure the entire team of Fox News and George Bush do the same. :0)
I read the papers to become informed but just like here its just people's opinions and you have to take it all in its stride. But just because its someone else's opinions doesn't mean I'm going to stop reading them or watching the news!
Wow 25 kids--now thats courageous! :0) No just kidding--the whole faith thing I respect all your views on. (I think all of you have strong faith and convictions which I admire) Its just I think with everything in life there has to be balance. Personally--I'm always going to be the type of person to question things or look into both sides of things more. This doesn't make me less spiritual or lacking faith in my opinion--I just think it helps me own personal knowledge and growth more than if I did otherwise. That's one thing that I started despising about some religions is that if you question anything you are branded as having "little faith". Doesn't God want us to expand our minds? Isn't questioning the first step to this? Anyway--I think faith is a completely WHOLE different topic in itself!! :0)
well....all i asked was if everyone was ok after all the storms!!! did anyone answer that? maybe heather. oh, and what does your husband DO? he was with the president??? that's pretty cool.
changes in weather have been going on long before the world population affected it. every earth has a lifespan...then it dies/changes. as far as the spiritual aspect of how we treat this earth, i feel it is personal. when we're living our lives in tune we'll be guided in our actions. i think there are people blessed with the initiative to make changes in this world, to inspire others, to remind us to take care of our resources...regardless of religious preference. on another note, when i asked my husband about all this, he said he doesn't care if his is contributing to problems, he just wants it to get him to work and back every day. will he have enough money to support his family? pay off school? FINALLY get our food storage? find a place for us to live? these are the things that concern most of us daily!! his political comment was that only about 25% of the country voted...of that 25%, probably only 15% or less care about the environment at all enough to do something about it...and that's just in THIS country. will what WE do change the rest of the world population? probably not. living your life in accordance with what you believe, doing what makes you feel happy and at peace, that's what's important. you CAN do your part, and you should, to your abilities. we haven't been asked to go and live like adam and eve and 'shun the world', we've been asked to live in it (not of it), raise our families, take care of what we've been given, and then share it with others. we LET the noisemakers of the world get to us, but we don't have to. i say trust your feelings. do what you've always known is the right thing and be happy in your life. we haven't been left alone in this world, there is a loving God there watching over us and He'll guide us in how we should go.
so....anyone want to comment on the actual weather? :) heehee.
Is it too late to make a comment about all of this? I don't know. But I just wanted to say, about the over-population thing, that a few years ago, I was watching a special on PBS about either China or Japan (I can't remember). Anyway, it was talking about how they are over-populated, but they are having problems with their law that forces people to only have one or two children. The problem they are finding is that they have more old people right now than young people to take care of them. The show went on to say that in the next 25 years (or something, it was a long time ago that I watched this show), their population would be drastically cut by 20%!!! Researchers did not find this to be a good thing. This is because no one is getting married or having children. If the trend continues, an entire civilization will be wiped off the face of the earth. Anyway, it opened my eyes!
Also, I believe that we, as a people are making the earth a place that is over-crowded and uninhabitable. It is our actions, not God's. Many people in Africa are starving because all the rich leaders won't share anything with the people. The Church does a TON to help those people. The whole fact that there are rich and poor people in the world shows that we are selfish, rude people (the natural man is an enemy to God)that just want everything for ourselves. Not how it will be during the Millenium! There will be enough and to spare! Everyone will share and have sufficient for their needs. I can't wait! I heard one time that if an area as small as the state of Vermont were cultivated and used only for the production of food, it could feed the entire United States. But we like our houses and big buildings and sports arenas, etc., etc., etc. :)
D&C 104: 17
17 For the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare; yea, I prepared all things, and I have given unto the children of men to be agents unto themselves.
Here is my statistic on over-population, any questions?
nicely put:)
Jen, my husband works for the Secret Service. We are located in Georgia.
He travels with the President and Vice President when needed. There are S.S. offices in almost every state in the U.S. Day to day Matt investigates counterfeiters, check fraud, and crimes that have to do with the treasury department. There are a few more divisions in the office here in GA that investigate other kinds of crimes, but Matt is just in the counterfeiting squad.
When the election year starts I won't be seeing much of him. The SS protect ALL of the people running(after the primaries). The people running for the presidency travel from city to city and state to state everyday. Most of the time they do a few cities in one day. The SS is very busy during this time. I already can't wait until it's over!
I am confused how your quote from D&C has anything to do with overpopulation statistics?
heather, that is SO cool!! i know, not good for you, having to be alone while he's gone....bummer about that. does he like what he's doing? i've been really into books (fiction) about the secret service...i'm sure the real thing is not as dramatic! but it's fun to read! the author is baldacci i think. anyway, thanks for answering my question! i've heard that a lot of members of the church get into those types of government jobs and that in some cases they are actually preferred because of their lifestyle and moral beliefs. if anything, i bet it's a terribly interesting job! did he ever have his picture taken with the president? that's the kind of cheesy thing i'd try to do! haha! well, have a good day:)
He does like his job and we have heard the same thing about members of the church having a good reputation among federal law enforcement.
He has never had his picture taken with the president. He'd probably get fired if he asked or tried. He does have a really cool picture of himself standing there looking like a SS agent with the President getting off of Air Force One in the background. It looks right out of the movies. What a stud!
That's the picture that most SS agents try to get, and it's attainable.
WOW Heather! As if I weren't impressed enough with you already... you are pregnant with your 6th in 7? years and you have to be a single Mom a lot of the time. HOW DO YOU DO IT? Clue me in please!
It's actually been 8 years and sometimes I wonder myself how I survive! I really believe that wherever I lack in strength, endurance, patience, or drive, the Lord provides where I fall short. I know I couldn't do it and stay sane without the angels that are constantly helping. That includes my neighbors and members of my ward who always seem to know just what I need.
And it's not just the angels who are helping me, but the ones who are watching over my children. Just a few minutes ago while I was bathing the three girls, my 3 year old boy let my 18 month old out of the house. We finally realized what had happened and followed the 3 year old to where he was.(Way farther than he has ever dreamed of going.). On the way to where he was there was a storm drain that about put me into cardiac arrest. I thought he had crawled into that. He was safe and there were people watching him and trying to figure out who he belonged to. What a relief! I am still reeling from that.
The Home Teachers are going to be here any minute and I have to clean the living room. It's a disaster!
Heather, i like to think of it as populating the world with good people who are going to make a difference in the world. I do not think anyone from our religion who has been educated in the subject would purposely destroy the planet and its resources. We are taught to treat the earth well and use things sparingly and to grow our own food and save for what may happen in the future. This is not in my opinion sqwandering our beautiful planet and its resources.
hey, if you have that pic, it would be cool to see it! that's such a relief to know that you have so many people watching out for you! how scary that your little boy wandered off!!!! here's a kind of sad story on that subject...i was at walmart the other day trying something on and they had a code ADAM, a little 4 year old was missing. so the mom was right there waiting for him at the fitting rooms and they found him within just a few minutes (hooray) but then you could hear the mom beating the poor little boy!! she was yelling at him and swearing at him (not anything i wanted bekah to hear but she was with me...) and he was just screaming. it was horrible. how do you explain that to your kids? i was glad when they left finally but it was so sad for that little boy.
Autumn I think you make a good point--its important for people TO BE EDUCATED on this subject. Plus not using excuses or 'blind faith' as a reason for ignorance!
I personally don't find anything wrong with blind faith at all. Nor do I feel that anyone on here uses it for a reason for ignorance. In fact, the more educated I become, the more I see God's hand in all things. In fact, I don't believe in coincidences at all-- mini miracles or "tender mercies" is what I like to call them.
I agree Angela, the term blind faith is kind of like an oximoron, when faith actually means that you are remembering what has already happened to you, trusting in that, and then with hope moving forward. Not knowing the outcome doesn't mean you're blind, it means you're using a different set of eyes. If we use what we have been taught, like the revelations to Oliver Cowdery, that we will feel it in our heart and our mind, and also that we need to study it out, then there is nothing blind about it. Faith requires study.
I guess I don't really feel that there is such thing as blind faith, but I do believe we can be blindly obedient. That's kind of what I was referring to really, we can do things without really having a personal conviction, or understanding the doctrine behind it, because it is simply what others,or our family, or friends have done. That is where the blind is, when we act without our own personal conviction or testimony. But faith, no faith is not blind, it is brilliantly clear.
Oh yeah, that scripture I quoted earlier means to me that Heavenly Father filled the earth for us, trees, plants, animals, insects, etc... and there is enough to spare. So I guess I'm saying that that is my statistic, I trust that statement more than I trust scientists who say we evolved from a sludge pond and that the atom could never be split. I know not all scientists believe that, and God is in science, I'm alive because of science, but like all things it can be had for good and for evil, we just have to use the spirit of discernement to decide for ourselves what we believe, and what we do not believe.
My only point was that some people (not necessarily any people on this blog ) use their faith as a reason to be apathetic, ignorant/naive, uneducated,to overconsume or to have a Gazillion kids without thinking things through first. Sometimes I also feel that occassionally people who are "over-religious" just refuse to see any other points of view on things and walk through life failing to see the whole picture. That's all I meant using the term "blind faith". You can call it whatever you want I guess, maybe this term doesn't correctly define it-I don't know. Faith does require study and I agree that sometimes we use faith/trust on a daily basis and that we can't always know the outcomes. I just don't like when people use faith as an excuse, or depend on it "too" much to the point flexibility doesn't exist and it begins to interfere with your progression in life. God only takes people so far and it is our responsibility to take up the slack.
Post a Comment