Monday, September 29, 2008

I love Sister Julie Beck!

Last year before the General Relief Society presidency change, I was in Salt Lake at a Young Women's convention. I got to talk with Sister Tanner, whom I love, Sister Dalton who is as beautiful in person as she is on tv, and Sister Beck.

It was a treat to see them interact, laugh, tell about their weaknesses and profess their genuine love for the young women.

I'm sure it was heart-wrenching and scary for Sister Beck to move from counselor to President of a different organization. There is something special about young womens, and each time my turn to serve was up, it was a difficult transition.

I do not deify any of our leaders, but I am blessed with a great love and admiration for the time and effort they put into their callings. At one point, I was walking all alone through Temple square, it began to rain and across from me was Sister Beck with a security guy which always accompanied these sweet ladies. We passed eachother and had a long look and smile into eachothers face. I knew she was on her way to another building and didn't feel I should stop her to say "I love you, you're so awesome!" like some groupie.

But the feeling I had burn within my heart was amazing. Sister Beck is genuine, and when she speaks I can see it in her face and I am priviledged to remember what the spirit witnessed to me when we were near eachother.

For those that were able to watch the women's conference, what did you think? How did you feel about the messages?

2 comments:

jen bryner said...

i agree, sis. beck is amazing! i loved her comments, and when she talked about more work to be done, i was ready right then and there to get to it:) i have to say, my very favorite talk was by pres. uchtdorf. i think he touched on things that are personal to everyone...all our feelings of inadequacy, all our struggles and worries. it was so powerful to hear him tell us that our feelings are valid, that the Lord knows us and our concerns. i think with all the great talks and music combined, it made for one of the best conferences i've heard!

Elizabeth C said...

That is so neat that you got to talk and meet with some of those amazing ladies! They have a lot to do and on their shoulders.