Friday, March 09, 2007

Send me labor dust please!!

Okay. I'm ready to be done with this pregnancy. I'm almost 37 weeks now. Its actually been a really uneventful pregnancy which is the best a woman can hope for, right?

But the last 10 days or so have been rough. The baby dropped and ever since then I'm so uncomfortable. By the end of the day I hurt so much I can barely move! Let alone take care of kids and holy moly...the stairs...those are a killer! My back hurts, my head hurts and I feel like my legs are going to pop off. And a decent night's sleep? I fantasize about that!

Funny how each pregnancy can be so different. With my first, I was miserable in the end but that was for a different reason. It was August in the midwest and that means a nasty, hot and humid time. My 2nd pregnancy was a breeze. So I've been a little surprised at how this one has turned out.

37 weeks. I actually have a c-section scheduled on Monday, March 26th. I have no hope of going earlier than that because my body doesn't do labor (literally!). So I suppose I can stick it out until then!

Thanks for letting me vent. Oh, and I should mention that Charles has been great the past few weeks. I've gotten lots of sympathy back & foot rubs!

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

Well, every pregnancy is different. Who knows, maybe you'll go into labor anyway! Although 37 weeks is a little early for labor to onset.

Have you never gone into labor? Some women's bodies just gestate longer than others. For some women it is perfectly normal to be pregnant for 43 weeks, for others their babies are done cooking at 37 weeks. All are within the range of normal.

Hang in there! In the meantime there are herbs out there that might help. Try drinking some raspberry leaf tea or taking some evening primrose oil... both orally and vaginally should help. My midwife used evening primrose oil and caster oil and rubbed it on my cervix and I had my baby the next day. Supposedly there is a recipe for eggplant parmasean that is supposed to make you go into labor. And there's always blue/black cohosh but that's an herb I wouldn't use without being under the supervision of an experienced herbalist. And of course semen is supposed to help ripen your cervix, too.

If you do go into labor before your scheduled c-section, are you going to have a c-section when you get to the hospital or will you attempt a vaginal birth first (I assume you have had prior c-sections which is why you have one scheduled, correct me if I'm wrong)?

And remember the third baby is the wild card... I was a third baby and I was almost born in the car. My girlfriend's baby was an intended homebirth but ended up being an unassisted homebirth because she was only in labor 45 minutes and the midwife didn't make it on time! WILDCARD!

Anyway, I'll be thinking about you! ***LABOR***

Evelyn said...

Yep, like I mentioned, my body doesn't do labor. The doctors discovered this during my 1st labor. I was 40 weeks and still closed nice and tight. But my blood pressure was sky rocketing so they induced me. Fast forward to 26 hours later: I had been stuck at a 7 for about 8 hours and my cervix was starting to thicken and close again! When they finally did a c-section, they discovered that my uterus doesn't have the muscles needed to push and contract, hence the stalling.

So if I do happen to go into labor on my own, I'll still have to have a c-section. And honestly I don't mind. I recover well from the surgery and since it what I know, I'm perfectly fine with it!

Another week or so and I may try some of those home remedies! I've heard Olive Garden has a good eggplant parmasan!

Anjuli Fry said...

Oh Evelyn I feel for you! You will be in out Prayers!! I went 42 weeks with my first and was induced. So I was so ready for Colin to come needless to say he made it 7 mins before my birthday. Some birthday huh? I hate the last couple weeks to much waiting and not enough energy to distract yourself except doing the essentials. Take advantage of those foot rubs!!!
Let us know how everything goes.

Anjuli Fry said...

I meant in "our" prayers not out. Oops!!

Carolyn said...

Wow, that sounds like a rough first labor, Evelyn. My mother-in-law also had c-sections because of problems with her uterus. She had a biconate uterus so not only were her babies all breech because of it (it was shaped in a way they couldn't turn, but this was back when they would usually let moms with breech babies vaginally birth them) she couldn't dilate or push a baby out of it. Usually women with bicornate uteri have multiple miscarriages and deliver very early, but she was blessed that she only had one miscarriage (late term, around 16 or 18 weeks I think).

Anonymous said...

Evy, you mind reader! I was just going to request an update from all pregnant ladies! I'm sure it feels very long for you, but I can not believe you are already due! I'm glad to hear that you are sooo close! How about an update on the rest of your life!? Love ya and good luck!

christine said...

This post has sure been educational :0)
It must be hard with all that waiting--I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. Good Luck Evelyn!!

Evelyn said...

Mollie...an update on the rest of my crazy in-between life? Not much as changed (sort of). We are still living with my husband's brother and his family. Charles is still doing his graphic design internship. The only big change is that his father did pass away about a month ago. So that was a crazy time but everyone seems to be doing well. Just glad we were here to be with him and the whole family!