Saturday, December 15, 2007

Sad

This post is not very cheery for the season, but oh well. I had to post it - it blew my mind.

Peter and I went to the movies last night. Behind the ticket agent was a large sign that looked like this:

ATTENTION PARENTS

Rated "G" Movies
Take your kids.

Rated "PG" Movies
Know your kids.

Rated "PG-13" Movies
See it with your kids.

Rated "R" Movies
Think before taking your kids.

Rated "NC-17" Movies
Get a sitter.

Maybe I'm a little old-fashioned, but I was astonished at what they advised. In particular, I was amazed that they whole-heartedly endorsed children seeing PG-13 movies. I know that there have been many times when I have had to turn off a PG-13 movie because the content was way too much for MY eyes & ears. I appreciate, to an extent, that they are trying to make people think about what their kids are watching, but my gosh! I'd put "thinking before I take my kids" at the PG level!! What do you all think?

8 comments:

sherrie said...

yeah what is pg-13 today would have been r yesterday. they keep lowering the bar for ratings, it is sad. so what movie did you see?

Autumn said...

I agree. PG must mean I KNOW my kids can't watch most PG movies. We watched Sandlot 2 the other day thinking it would be fine but there was way too much language I do not want my kids to be hearing. It surprises me what some parents let their children watch these days. Sometimes they see stuff at friends homes that I wish they hadn't.

Carolyn said...

I have to be really careful because Dave thinks that PG means that it's okay for my 3 year old to watch. Um, I don't think so! He thinks she'll like "That Thing You Do" but I am not sure she's ready for that movie yet. We've actually had some tension with the TV, because he likes coming home and zoning out to the TV and I don't like the kids to watch the TV at all (but trust me, no TV doesn't happen in our home, but in my fantasy home it does).

I wasn't allowed to watch PG-13 movies until I was 13. Period. And it surprises me that I have friends who allow their young children to watch that ((and worse!)) while they are elementary school aged. I think I may increase my parent's rule to "Not until you live on your own" in my home!

Have you guys seen kids-in-mind.com? It helps you preview the movie without actually seeing it to help you decide if it's appropriate for your child. It scores 3 categories on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being the fewest occurances and 10 the most, on violence/gore, sex/nudity, and profanity. You see the score right up front and then it goes into detail in the article.

Heather said...

Someone I know brought their 4 year old to the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I couldn't believe that! It would give a child nightmares. But I know he is used to stuff like that by now.
Some children are exposed to so much more very early. I am trying to make my children's childhood last.
My children aren't allowed to watch PG movies unless I have seen them, or Erika has and says they are good.
My mother-in-law gave us Sandlot 2 and we started watching until it got too much for us. It is much smarter to watch it before, or go to the website that Carolyn suggested. That sounds like a great idea!

enickel said...

Well we all need to share when we see a good family movie. Suggestions are always welcome. I have to admit I let my 10 year old go to the last Harry Potter movie even though it was pg-13. I promised him that if he read the books he could watch it. It actually wasn't that bad and it was a fun "date" for the two of us.

enickel said...

I love "That Thing You Do" by the way. My kids haven't seen it though. What did you guys think of "Hairspray"? I haven't seen it yet.

sherrie said...

enick - it's in my queue, i'll let ya know when i see it. i've heard mixed reviews from friends.

Elizabeth C said...

That seems quite a bit liberal for standards, but then again those are the world standards.