Sunday, December 30, 2007

1pm Church!!!

Ladies I feel I need to get all our juices going again, so I have a challenge for you all...
For the past 4 1/2 years we have somehow avoided having to endure 1pm church time. I am in dire need of crock-pot ideas. I really am not a crock-pot cooker but really feel this will be the only way my family will survive the dreaded 1 o'clock church. So here is what I want:
1. Great recipe ideas for the crock-pot
2. Great recipe books for the crock-pot
3. Or just great meal ideas for after the dreaded 1 pm church time.

Thanks!

7 comments:

sherrie said...

one of my favs is just teriyaki chicken. cook on low in yoshidas teriyaki sauce (costco) and a bit of water while at church, then do some rice in the rice cooker and steam some veggies. yum-o.

then there is the roast with veggies. cook with package of liptons onion mix and water (add flour to make yummy gravy).

good luck! i love the crock pot, i don't use it enough though.

Evelyn said...

I think one of the best kitchen gadgets is the crockpot! So easy.

This is what we are having today: Just put a roast in the crock pot with a can of diced tomatos, pkg of onion soup mix and a little bit of water. Cook until roast is done...yum!

Another: chicken breasts and a bottle of Italian salad dressing until chicken is done. We eat this with rice.

Oh...and this one is SO good! The sauce recipe is from my all-time favorite cookbook: The Essential Mormon Cookbook. Combine the following in a saucepan and simmer until bubbly: 1 chopped onion, 2 tbl butter, 2 cups ketchup, 1 cup packed brown sugar, 2 tbs worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup bbq sauce. Then I put the sauce in the crockpot with some beef spare ribs (you can use pork if you like) and cook all day. The meat is so yummy and tender. We eat this with rice.

We also have 1 pm church starting next week. I remember loving 1 pm church when I was childless...now I'm dreading it!

Jenny G. said...

hey Joy! Try flylady.com, they have tons of recipes on there. Click on "food for thought" on the sidebar and then scoll down to slow cooker. Our ward is being split this week and until our new church is built we are having church at 3pm. To say the least, I am not looking forward to that!! Slow cooking is a great idea!

Carolyn said...

Made teriyaki chicken tonight. I'm too cheap to actually go out and buy teriyaki sauce, so I used this recipe. I used ground ginger, about 1 tsp, in place of the fresh grated ginger. Again, I am too cheap to go out and buy fresh!

Here's the recipe I used

Carolyn said...

Oh, I was going to add more! Anyway, it was crock pot teriyaki chicken, served with rice in the rice cooker, and fresh steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Mmmmmm, good, and fast for a fast Sunday with 1 o'clock church!

Heather said...

One of our favorite meals is bar-b-q chicken. Throw in a bunch of chicken with bar-b-q sauce and let it cook until it is falling apart. Then separate the chicken, add a little more sauce, and put it on buns for bar-b-q chicken sandwiches. We like to eat this with baked beans, cole slaw, corn, potato chips.
Another one is chili. So easy and packed with good stuff.
First cook an onion and then brown the beef.(You can do this the day before)
Put that in the crock pot and add a can of corn, chili beans, kidney beans, black beans, can of diced tomatoes. You can season it however you want, but I put in a Carrol Shelby's Original Texas Brand Chili Kit. It's just a bag of seasoning. I don't add the thickener or the salt or the cayenne pepper out of the bag, just the seasoning.
I do add a little water to the crock pot.
You can put whatever cans of beans you have in the house in the chili. If you don't have chili beans or black beans that day, just don't use them. It's very easy and adjustable.
Sour cream, cheese, garden onions are good on top. We also like to eat it with a baked potato or tortilla chips and corn bread.

Jess said...

Now that we have 8:30 am church (curse the person who ever thought that was a good idea)...I've been using my crock pot more and forgot how much I loved it. I have the "Fix It and Forget It" cookbook and really like it. I've seen a couple different versions at Costco and they all seem to have a ton of recipes. It even includes things like breads and desserts. Highly recommended! I actually wish we had church at 1pm...that is probably because we are childless thus far.