
Hopefully you can read this. Maybe it will get bigger if you click on it. If it doesn't work I will get my husband to link it. Or if anyone else happens to have this article and can make it more readable. It is just crazy that that is how things were supposed to be back then. No one would have wanted me for a wife. I would have never conformed to this craziness.
14 comments:
It is readable if you click on the image.
Oh my.....my favorite is, "he is the master of the home" and "don't complain, even if he stays out all night" LOL! Very humorous. I wonder if anyone ever really lived like that, or if magazines like this were projecting a world of male fantasy?
Hmmm...."Clear away the clutter". Does it count if you shove it all in the closet or under a bed?
I've read this before. There's no way I would have ever been able to conform to such a rigid standard. My husband knows that while he does work hard every day, it is tough being a parent 24/7 and sometimes I just have bad days, and he can deal with the clutter.
"His topics of conversation are more important than yours." Ha ha, yeah right! He likes talking about things like football and fishing.
i have a suspicion that this is real. i think of my grandmother who was born in 1909 and i see her reading this and agreeing with everything. i don't want to say she was a push over or ignorant, but i think prior to the 60's feminist movement many housewives fell into this category. but that's just my thought. it is funny to read it and imagine being that way. but for people in that era, those who didn't question these types of things probably went along with them. just look at june cleaver from leave it to beaver ;)
I think this is hilarious and my husband wants to know why he didn't get to live back then. :)
Ooooh, I'm pretty sure it's a hoax! I've seen this and read it before, but something didn't seem right about it, especially since I've never heard of a magazine called "Housekeeping Monthly." I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it looks to be a fake! Thankfully!
You'll probably have to C&P because I don't know how to make hyperlinks in comments...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_wife's_guide
yeah i think you're right carolyn. but it was fun thinking it could have been real...
I thought there was a post about an article from General Women's Conference? What happened to it? I wanted to comment but wanted to read the article again before doing so. What was the article, I would like to read it because I vaguely remember it. I was wrestling with a fussy baby and trying to listen at the time.
Not gonna happen!! Crazy one Chanda!!
I agree with Sherrie though there were a lot of women who believed this nonsense. There have been alot of changes from even just my Grandmother's era.
Autumn, it looks like the post was deleted. I'm sorry it was, it was an interesting topic. But I can understand why Christine decided to delete it.
Christine, I know that sometimes it is hard to be the odd one out, but I really enjoy your posts and I really think you add a great dynamic to the blog. It's good to have another perspective! I certainly appreciate your thoughts, and I'm sure that all of the others that post here do as well. Sometimes we all get caught up in our own little bubbles, especially since many of us are stay-at-home-moms, and most or all of our friends are LDS. It's easy to not ever see the other side of things. Thank you for helping me see another point of view! Truly, I appreciate it.
I also was enjoying the discussion on the conference talk and enjoy everyones differnt views on this subject and many others. I do agree with Carolyn that Christine adds to this blog and enjoy some of the different subjects that she brings to the table. It is no secret that I have made it know to Christine that I don't have to agree with what she says on every subject but could do with out all the stereotypes that have been directed at the people on this blog. I really honestly don't think she even realizes how some of the comments she has made come off to some of us in a very bad way. Regardless of what I feel she has said in the past, I did not feel that she was making any sweeping generalizations in the conference talk discussion and hope that she rejoins us in the future when she wants to.
Oh ladies....this is indeed true! When I was a teenager, in the 60's, there was a book my friends and I devoured. Being good LDS girls who were very interested in being perfect in every way, especially where it concerned marriage and men, we took this book to be almost gospel. It is called Fascinating Womanhood by Helen B. Andelin. You can Google it or I will put a link at the bottom. I have since decided that my devotion to this book and my total belief in the Cinderella story caused me much pain in my life. However, I have seen the light and agree with all of your comments. You are all so much smarter than I was at your ages!
sheri, Evelyn's mom
http://users.rcn.com/bendesky/about/cbta/50swoman.html
So funny...did our grandmothers really do all this?
Sorry Zac I have failed you as a wife...
I don't know if any is still reading these, but I thought that article was hilarious! Especially, "don't question him about his actions." Whatever! Like men had no responsibility to be faithful, only women. Anyway, something about this being true or not...a couple months ago we were having a lesson on marriage in Relief Society and an older lady in the class raised her hand and said, "Back in my day there was a song on the radio that talked about how women should look beautiful 24/7 for their husbands or he might leave them. They should always be wearing make-up, never look tired, and always be dressed up for him." Then she said, "It was a wonderful song and I think we should all remember to do those things or we might lose our husbands." There was silence. We were all shocked and no one knew what to say. Finally, someone raised their hand and made a good comment that helped get the lesson back on track. So, I really do think people believed those things, even members of the Church.
Post a Comment