Starting next month I will be watching a little boy, every day for two weeks, then twice a week after that. I only have girl toys and most of them are really babyish, since my oldest is only 3 and doesn't really play with toys. Perhaps because I don't have many she likes to play with. Anyway, I want to get some toys that are inexpensive that can be enjoyed by both boys and girls. I talked a little with my sister who suggested Duplos (which her older boys even still play with-- to make gigantic guns), dinosaurs, and cars. I don't want to get to much stuff, but maybe a couple more things would be good. I'm also planning on doing some preschool-type stuff with Lacy and the little boy Cooper each afternoon while Rose sleeps, and I'll probably allow limited TV time if his mother agrees (during the time I put Rose down for a nap, so I have a little time at least to get her down!).
I'm actually really looking forward to watching Cooper because Lacy gets bored easily and needs to be constantly entertained. Which is why I had a second child after only 22 months! But Rose is still too little to play with. Hopefully they will play well together. He seems like a really sweet, well-behaved boy.
Saturday, August 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Duplos are great!! My boys love them! Another thing is cars, hot wheels are normally less then a dollar most places!! The dollar store also has great items from cars to plastic dinosaurs. They aren't the sturdiest but my boys have some and they haven't broken yet.
As for preschool, I taught montessori for 7 years before having my boys, I would try typing in sandpaper letters or numbers templates in google and see what you come up with. They are the letters and numbers out of sandpaper (you want to buy sandpaper that is very ruff) and you cut the letters and numbers out of it and glue to poster board and they trace them with their fingers. Or place a paper over them and rub them with crayons. Colin my almost 4 year old loves them and it has helped him pick up the names of the numbers and sounds. If you are really ambitious you can have them write the letters and numbers in cornmeal. First you would show them and then you would help them write it themselves by directing their hands. Just put 1/4 inch cornmeal into a shallow dish or tray. Montessori is very hands on and this will just had one more dimension to learning the sounds and numbers.
Also another thing we encouraged the kids to do was something called practical life, which is something you can do at home. It's things like spooning beans from one bowl to another, pouring dry items and when there are no more spills moving on to pouring water from one cup to another. There are alot of variations that you can do, from beans to rice or even beads and changing the containers. Stringing items like noodles on string. All this helps with hand eye cordination along with that the kids really like it, it makes them feel grown up.
Sorry I didn't mean to go on like that, hopes this helps!!!
Sorry I meant sandpaper that "isn't" very ruff
Anjuli said it...cars, dinos, trucks, and trains. Both our boys fight over the few my mom has whenever we are both visiting. Plus my daughter loves to play cars with Andrew.
I think the Thomas the Tank Engine trains and tracks were the best buy. My girls even love them. We didn't buy the big table. I just have them in a rubbermaid container and take them out whenever we are in the mood. Good luck with the extra boy!
How old is Cooper? My Joe is 4 and he loves cars, trains and anything 'boy' like swords, airplanes, ninja turtles, Superman or Spiderman, Buzz Lightyear, etc. Do you have any good consignment stores where you are? You might be able to find some good trucks and toys there. Also, if your girls are into dress up, try to find some cheap boy dress ups like cowboys or pirates. Or even make some of that stuff. A cape and an eye mask can't be too tough to put together. Good luck!
My boys love dirt, sticks, rocks, plucking flowers, digging holes, riding their scooters, and jumping on the tramp. They don't really play with toys. I usually have to go outside to get the dishes done, as most of them are out there, in the sandbox or garden, or on the porch.
Nathan loves to throw anything and everything, so soft footballs and things like that are a good investment.
I suggest using your imagination with them.
Good luck
The value village in Lacey always seems to have good boy toys, like trucks and remote control cars (which can be played with even if the remote doesn't work anymore) A lot of the toys seem to be more for babies but i have noticed that they always have several boyish things. The goodwill in lacey has toys but not sure if they ever have good boy toys and it is kind of a small store. But you can check it out.
Little People Toys are also great (for both girls and boys)
Post a Comment